A Chinese takeaway with rat poo on the floor has been warned after an inspector found customers could get food poisoning from reheated rice. A chef at Bamboo Garden on Burnt Ash Road in Lee told a council worker they warmed up rice that had been left in a plastic box at room temperature.
The takeaway was given the worst possible score of 0 out of 5 for food hygiene following an inspection on December 1 2021. A food hygiene officer found food was being stored in dirty plastic containers and noticed mice droppings near the kitchen during the visit.
Bamboo Garden in Lee was ordered to take immediate steps to improve following the inspection. The takeaway was found to be in breach of 13 food hygiene rules. A Lewisham Council report from December 20 2021 reads: “Upon arrival I noted a plastic tray of cooked rice left at ambient temperature. I was advised by one of the chefs that the rice is cooked, kept at ambient temperature and then reheated upon customer request.
READ MORE: Japanese restaurant blasted after cockroaches found in kitchen near sushi area
“This is a bad practice as harmful bacteria can grow at ambient temperature. The main concern is the formation of toxins that will get destroyed with the heat treatment and could lead to food poisoning of consumers. At the time of the inspection rat activity in the form of rat droppings were noted in the basement. Slight mice activity in the form of mice droppings was noted in the small dry storage room located at the entrance of the kitchen.”
Cleaning was poor throughout the takeaway, according to the inspector. Fryers used to cook food were covered in grease while fans inside fridges were dusty. Dirt and grease had been allowed to build-up across the takeaway’s floors.
The report continues: “Some food items such as chicken balls were being stored uncovered inside fridges and freezers. Walls in some areas of your premises especially in the basement were in a poor repair condition. Some parts of the wall were also falling. Black mould growth was also noted in one of the rooms in the basement where chest freezers were located.”
A letter addressed to Bamboo Garden from a Lewisham environmental health boss said an inspector would revisit the takeaway to ensure it’s taking steps to improve. Following the second inspection, the council will consider what action to take against the takeaway. Bamboo Garden has been contacted.