Tottenham have already started to draw up plans to spend the money that could be raised by selling Harry Kane to Bayern Munich this summer, according to reports. Kane has been heavily linked with a move to the Allianz Arena over the last few weeks, while Paris Saint-Germain have also been credited with a desire to snap him up after putting Kylian Mbappe up for sale.
Bayern chiefs flew into London on Monday in order to hold in-person discussions with Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy, according to Sky Sports. The two clubs were due to meet last week before the session was rescheduled, although dialogue has remained open about Kane’s future over the last few days.
It has since been reported by Mundo Deportivo that Tottenham could use the money generated by selling Kane to fund the signings of two Barcelona players before the summer window slams shut. The north Londoners are said to be keen on bringing Clement Lenglet back to the club on a permanent basis, with the Frenchman having been deemed surplus to requirements at the Nou Camp.
Lenglet spent last season on loan at Tottenham and established himself as a key player during his brief spell on English shores as he made 35 appearances in all competitions. The report states that discussions have been ongoing at club level in recent weeks, but an agreement is yet to be found in spite of Spurs’ interest in snapping him up.
A move for Franck Kessie is also thought to be under consideration at Hotspur Way, with the former AC Milan midfielder said to have been left out of Barcelona’s plans for the campaign ahead. However, it is said that Juventus are keen on bringing Kessie back to Italy and have already firmed up their interest by submitting a concrete loan-to-buy offer.
Tottenham have ‘burst into the bidding’ over the last few days, though, and will be hoping to rival Juventus in the race to land Kessie before the new Premier League season gets underway. It remains to be seen if both Barcelona players will end up joining Spurs in the near future, with Kane’s potential sale able to raise the funds required to bring them to the Premier League.
They will undoubtedly need to fill the void left by Kane’s departure if he is sold this summer, with Bayern forward Mathys Tel said to be among the names on Ange Postecoglou’s attacking shortlist. However, it seems as though it could be tricky for Spurs to push through a move for the 18-year-old, with Bild reporting that he is ‘not an option’ for the north Londoners either on loan or permanently.
It had been suggested that Tel could be included in a swap deal that would have seen Kane go the other way, although such a move appears to be highly unlikely as things stand, which could see Tottenham forced to look elsewhere in their efforts to strengthen at the top of the pitch. Only time will tell how the situation will eventually play out, though, with Monday’s in-person talks likely to move things along in one direction or the other.
Follow our Express Sport page on Instagram here.