Non-league: Woodford Town, Romford maintain pace at top

Woodford Town and Romford remain level on points at the top of the Essex Senior League table after away wins on Bank Holiday Monday.

And Sporting Bengal United were also celebrating after beating Barking in their clash at Lawtech Stadium.

Woods sit in pole position on goal difference, after their 5-0 win at neighbours Buckhurst Hill.

But Boro are right on their heels following a 2-1 success at Tilbury.

Nathan Sollosi put Woods ahead after 17 minutes in the Roding Valley derby, cutting inside and firing home in front of a crowd of 248, with Luke Parrott doubling their advantage after connecting with a lovely through ball just past the half-hour mark.

Sollosi struck again in first-half stoppage time, after the home side had hit the crossbar, and Ernest Okoh made it 4-0 on the hour.

Parrott completed the nap hand with his second goal of the game two minutes from time, to the delight of boss Shane Baptiste ahead of their FA Cup first qualifying tie against Felixstowe & Walton United next weekend.

“Good win today, 3 games in 5 days with bank holiday in the mix was tough but happy with the results & performances,” he posted.

“Now time to recover, review then prep for huge game next Saturday. Massive thanks to our travelling fans. Love you all.”

Romford, meanwhile, claimed their first win at Tilbury in 10 years thanks to two goals from Michael Turner.

Exempt from FA Vase action on Saturday due to their fine run last season, Boro had not won at Chadfields since a 2-1 success in April 2013.

Seedorf Mendes and Harrison Georgiou had early efforts comfortably saved by Anthony Page, but he was powerless to prevent Turner firing home on 32 minutes, when Lee Hursit’s free-kick was only half-cleared.

Charlie Morris fired past the far post before the break, but Boro doubled their lead on 50 minutes when Kris Newby’s corner found Turner, whose header was adjudged to have crossed the line before a Tilbury defender cleared.

Jake Anderson kept out a low free-kick from Macauley Joynes and also denied Harry Hope on 78 minutes.

But he was beaten by a late penalty from Olly Miles, when a cross from Joynes was adjudged to have been handled by Newby, before Bruno Gomes was foiled by Page in stoppage time.

Sporting Bengal opened the scoring just before the break at Barking as Steve Carvell countered from a home corner to beat the exposed Harry Girling.

Henry Mabassa headed over for the hosts from Harvey Brown’s corner, while Chris Ady-Gamfyi headed wide from Aundre Spencer’s excellent cross.

Barking were reduced to 10 men on 74 minutes when Dan Okah was shown a straight red card for a challenge on Sheri Artmeladze and Carvell fired the resulting free-kick home to make it 2-0.

Artmeladze added a third moments later and a last-gasp penalty from Spencer was little consolation for Barking, as they suffered a third successive defeat.

Athletic Newham let a lead slip to fall to a 2-1 defeat at Hullbridge Sports.

After a goalless first half, Jacques Leurs converted at the far post to put them ahead at Lower Road, but the hosts hit back as Mike Agboola headed home.

And Agboola got on the end of a fine cross from Jason Banton to nod a second to seal the points.

Frenford had claimed a 3-0 win at Benfleet in the FA Vase on Sunday.
Dion Johnston put them in front on 57 minutes with Fabio Nunes adding a second with a fine free-kick.


Goal!!!!@Benfleet_FC 0-2 Frenford,
Fabio Nunes

— Frenford FC (@Frenfordfc) August 27, 2023


And Nathan Coombes completed the scoring in stoppage time as Frenford set up a trip to Brantham Athletic on September 23.

Recommended For You