Owners of some of the houses damaged in last summer’s devastating Wennington fire have been offered hope as plans to rebuild their properties are in the pipeline.
Planning applications were submitted on May 17 to replace eight Marine Cottages, visually replicating their old versions.
The new houses will be built on a ‘like by like’ basis with only a few minor changes in their layout, the proposals said.
A report prepared by Studio C Architects in support of the applications suggests that the current dwellings have incurred “significant” structural damage and have been declared by Havering Council to be unsafe.
On July 19 last year, a blaze that broke out in Wennington at around 3 pm spread to the residential areas.
A major incident was declared by the council as more than 100 firefighters tried to get the fires under control.
Read More: East London firefighters reflect on tackling 2022 wildfires
A total of 19 properties were destroyed in the fire.
Several of these homes were either uninsured or did not have adequate cover, it was later revealed.
The council had to step in to provide alternative accommodation to some of the displaced residents.
Councillor Ray Morgon, leader of Havering Council, said last year: “We know it will take many months and indeed years to support the recovery of Wennington Village and its community.”
London’s deputy mayor for fire and resilience, Dr Fiona Twycross, visited the site of the fires on Wednesday (May 23) to discuss the work with the council.
A council spokesperson suggested that these recent proposals to restore the homes are a step in this recovery process.
Cllr Morgon, who was also present at the event on Wednesday, said that “more support needs to be given to boroughs like Havering” as more natural calamities put pressure on the council to help residents.
The demolition work to remove the destroyed houses began on January 9 and was completed towards end of March this year.
A decision on the planning application for building the new homes will be taken by July 12.