Home Breaking News South London man knocked unconscious after 4 kids smashed a brick over...

South London man knocked unconscious after 4 kids smashed a brick over his head so hard they cracked his skull

10

A South London man was knocked unconscious after four teenagers smashed a brick across his head so hard they cracked his skull. Nikola Vujic, a self-employed tradesman, was on his way home from work in Herne Hill at around 8pm on March 9 when the gang hit him in the back and knocked him off of his bike before stealing his work tools, his bike and £560 in cash.

Feeling scared, he put his backpack and tools on the floor and the group of people walked away before rushing back with a brick and hitting him over the head with it. Nikola, who lives in Wandsworth with his wife, says he was left unconscious for around 30 seconds and when he woke up again, he saw the group running away with the cash he had just earned from his job, as well as his tools and his bike.

He recalled the shocking moment to MyLondon: “I cycled past four teenagers in the middle of the street. As I cycled past them, one of them had an electric scooter and came from the back and hit me which knocked me off my bike.

READ MORE: Man and woman launch brutal attack which leaves one victim with brain injury

Nikola underwent a gruelling surgery for his head injury

“They surrounded me, so I took my backpack off and put my tools on the ground. Once I put my backpack down they (scattered) so I thought nothing was going to happen. I was about to leave but then they came back and as soon as I turned around one of them smacked me with a brick.”

He believes the group of people were around 16 to 17 years old. Nikola managed to seek safety in a nearby shop but was bleeding so badly from his head he had to call emergency services.

He was rushed to hospital where doctors found he had cracked his skull and had to undergo a gruelling surgery procedure. “I ended up having an operation, it wasn’t a pleasant experience,” he added.

He stayed in hospital from March 9 until March 14 and was advised by doctors to stay off work due to his concussion and so he could recover properly from the stitches on his head. Nikola unfortunately began to develop an infection on his head and may require a second operation if the blood and pus oozing from the wound does not stop.

Nikola has been unable to return to work because his physically demanding job as a tradesman requires him to often paint and decorate properties on ladders. He says his attack has left him suffering with fatigue whenever he walks up and down stairs.

Nikola has not been able to work in over three weeks

Nikola has not been able to work in over three weeks

Being unable to work for the last three weeks has become a financial burden for Nikola, who is self-employed and he has had to borrow money off friends to afford his rent and bills. He has set up a GoFundMe to help him afford to cover the costs of living while he recovers from the infection caused by the attack.

In February, his tools and bike were unfortunately stolen while he was working in another area of South London. He says he feels ashamed to start a fundraiser, but that he can’t afford to be a victim of another theft in the space of a month.

So far Nikola has managed to raise £150 out of a £1,500 target. You can read Nikola’s GoFundMe here.

A Met police spokesperson told MyLondon enquiries into the incident are ongoing, including a CCTV review of the area. No arrests have been made.

Anyone with any information is urged to call the police on 101, referencing CAD 7301/09Mar. Alternatively, to give information anonymously contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111

Are you a Londoner with an important story to share? Get in touch with Ruby by writing to her at [email protected]

For the latest breaking news from across the capital, head to our homepage.

0 GettyImages 1318321182

At MyLondon, we want to make sure you get the latest and greatest from across the capital.

And one way you can do that is by getting the best news, reviews and features from wherever you are straight to your inbox with our free email newsletters.

We have seven newsletters you can currently sign up for – including a different one for each part of London, as well as an EastEnders one for all the gossip from Albert Square, and a London Underground one to keep you up to date on the latest transport news.

The local newsletters go out twice a day and send the latest stories straight to your inbox.

From community stories and news covering every borough of London to celebrity and lifestyle stories, we’ll make sure you get the very best every day.

To sign up to any of our newsletters, simply follow this link and select the newsletter that’s right for you.

And to really customise your news experience on the go, you can download our top-rated free apps for iPhone and Android. Find out more here.

Read More
Read More

https://www.mylondon.news/news/south-london-news/south-london-man-knocked-unconscious-23556877