Clerkenwell: Student flats cordoned off as police launch murder investigation over death of 19-year-old woman in central London | UK News

A murder investigation is under way after a 19-year-old woman died in central London, the Metropolitan Police has said.

Officers were called around 5.10am on Saturday to reports of a woman wounded at a residential property in Sebastian Street, Clerkenwell.

They found her with serious injuries and despite being treated by emergency services, she was pronounced dead at the scene.

Sky News understands she was a first-year foreign student at City, London University, thought to be of Middle East background.

Fellow students said she did not mix much and described a man who had been with her in the flat earlier in the evening as white, bald and aged in his 30s.

Student Angelina Miats, 19, who lives on the second floor, said: “I was woken about 8am by police knocking on my door. They wanted to search my room, but wouldn’t tell me what had happened.

“People are very frightened because of what’s happened, and I don’t feel safe. I’m not sure I want to stay in the building anymore.”

Angelina, a business management student at the same university, said: “The block is normally very secure and anyone who doesn’t live there has to be let in.”

No arrests have been made, and the Met said inquiries are ongoing.

A post-mortem examination will be scheduled, and a police cordon remains at the scene. Officers were seen stood outside a block of student flats, which was cordoned off.

The flats are close to the City, University of London campus.

Anyone with information should call the incident room on 020 8358 1010, call 101 or tweet @MetCC and quote CAD1252/19March.

Flowers have been laid at the scene

Meanwhile, two people have been arrested on suspicion of murder following a fatal stabbing in east London.

The Met said officers were called to a home in Springfield Drive, Ilford, at around 1.25am today and found a man in his 30s seriously injured.

Despite treatment from London Ambulance Service paramedics, he was pronounced dead at the scene.

Two males have been detained on suspicion of murder and remain in custody.

A post-mortem examination will take place in due course, and inquiries continue.

Anyone with information should call the Met on 101 or tweet @MetCC and quote CAD466/19Mar.

Recommended For You