Home East London London Underground passengers are furious that Night Tube won’t reopen on Jubilee...

London Underground passengers are furious that Night Tube won’t reopen on Jubilee line

9

The decision not to reopen the Night Tube on the Jubilee line has been branded “unfair and illogical” by local politicians.

An East London councillor added that many women were “hesitant and fearful” of travelling at night in the wake of the murders of Sarah Everard and Sabina Nessa.

Sadiq Khan announced last week that London’s Night Tube would reopen for the first time since the start of the coronavirus pandemic in March 2020.

However, the late-night underground will only reopen on the Central and Victoria lines from November 27 onwards.

The decision has come under fire from residents and councillors in East London for excluding the popular Northern and Jubilee lines.

Read more: Northern line commuters fume as they miss out on Night Tube

They have also raised concerns about safety women’s safety in London if the Night Tube is not widely available.

A group of Liberal Democrat councillors have written to London Mayor Sadiq Khan demanding that the Jubilee line Night Tube be reopened.

The councillors from Tower Hamlets, Brent and Southwark said that residents in all of their boroughs had contacted them with concerns about women’s safety, and the affordability and environmental impact of having to find other forms of transport at night.

They added that residents “see the move by the Mayor and TfL as deeply illogical and unfair”.

Tower Hamlets councillor Rabina Khan, who signed the letter, said: “Following the tragic murders of Londoners Sabina Nessa and Sarah Everard in recent months, and acknowledging that at least 80 women have been killed by men across the UK since Sarah’s death, the Mayor must act to ensure the safety of women.

“As councillors, we have been contacted by many women and shift workers across London who are hesitant and fearful about travelling late at night.

“They deserve to have the Night Tube option they used to have.”

This view was taken by many London residents on social media, who saw the Night Tube not returning across the city as a risk to women’s safety.

Several Twitter users argued that while the Night Tube on the Central and Victoria lines was an improvement, late underground services should be brought in across the city.

Many online shared an identical tweet which said: “@TfL @MayorofLondon @SadiqKhan thank you for reinstating Central & Victoria line night tube from Nov 27th.

“This is great progress, but improving the safety of ALL women is vital. Please extend the reopening to include women who rely on Northern/Jubilee/Piccadilly & Overground.”

Another Londoner posted: “What about the Jubilee line?? Night Tube on only two services is hardly helpful.”

Transport for London and the mayor’s office have insisted that night tubes on the other lines will reopen as soon as possible, but are yet to say exactly when.

Mayor of London Sadiq Khan said: “I’m delighted to see the return of the Victoria and Central Night Tube lines next month, which will make a huge difference to people travelling around our city at night and making their way home, offering them an additional safe, reliable transport option.

“I will continue to work with TfL and the Government to do everything we can to bring back the full night tube network as soon as possible.”

Nick Dent, the London Underground’s director of customer operations, said: “The return of the Night Tube will be a huge boost to the night-time economy and help our customers travel around London at weekends.

“We continue to run a regular, orderly and clean service and will continue to work hard to return the full night tube network as soon as possible.”

Read More
Read More

https://www.mylondon.news/news/east-london-news/night-tube-wont-reopen-jubilee-21914957