Hammer attack spree in Central London leaves four in hospital

A man went on a violent spree armed with a hammer last night (October 1) in Central London, leaving four in hospital.

Police were called to reports of a man attacking people on Regent Street, W1.

It started with two women, one in her 20s and the other in her 30s, being attacked with a hammer on Regent Street shortly before 11pm on Friday, October 1.

The hammer-wielding attacker then entered a pub on Glasshouse Street near Picadilly Circus and attacked two more people – a woman in her 40s and a man in his 50s.

READ MORE: Man rushed to hospital after being hit over the head with wood outside Camden Underground station

His spree was brought to a stop by security staff at the pub who detained him until police arrived.

The four people injured were all taken to hospital where their injuries were found to be non-life-threatening.

The 38-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of grievous bodily harm (GBH) and remains in custody in a Central London police station.

Police are trying to establish a motive for this attack.

MyLondon understands it is not being investigated as a terror attack.

More information is expected to be released later today.

A spokesperson for the Met Police said: “Officers in Westminster dealt with a violent incident overnight which resulted in three women and a man being taken to hospital and an arrest made for GBH.

“Police were called at 10.54pm on Friday, October 1, to reports of a man attacking people in Regent Street, W1.

“The man used a hammer to hit two women in Regent Street. Both women – one aged in her 30s, the other in her 20s – have been taken to hospital where their conditions are not believed to be life-threatening.

“The man then entered a pub in Glasshouse Street where he used a hammer to attack a woman, aged in her 40s, and a man, aged in his 50s.

“Both have been taken to hospital and neither is in a life-threatening condition.

“The 38-year-old man was detained by security staff at the pub and arrested by police officers on suspicion of GBH. He has been taken into custody at a central London station.”

Were you at the scene? Did you see what happened? Please get in touch at [email protected]

Read More
Read More


Recommended For You