Enfield: Police release image of knife after officer is stabbed in north London | UK News

The Metropolitan Police have released an image of a knife they say was used in an attack on an officer who was stabbed in the shoulder in north London.

A 30-year-old man was later arrested on suspicion of attempted murder in relation to the attack – with the officer taken to hospital with a serious shoulder injury.

Police said the officer had been responding to reports of a man with a knife in Mandeville Road, Enfield, on Tuesday afternoon.

Other officers disarmed and detained the suspect and gave their colleague first aid treatment, which included using a tourniquet.

The injured officer was taken to hospital with a serious shoulder injury and is said to be in a stable condition.

The suspect was injured during his arrest but has been discharged from hospital.

Commander Owain Richards said in a statement on Wednesday evening: “Following yesterday’s frightening incident in Enfield where an incredibly brave officer was stabbed and seriously injured responding to calls of a man with a knife, I am pleased that the officer is doing well and has been visited by the Commissioner this morning.

“The officer’s colleagues jumped into action, and I want to highlight the police medic who used his advanced training to provide vital first aid. His quick-thinking, skilled work undoubtedly contributed to ensuring the officer is in a stable condition today.

“Our thoughts remain with the officer and we are offering him all the support available to assist with his recovery.

“I want to reassure the local community that the 30-year-old man was swiftly disarmed, detained and a knife was seized and he was arrested for attempted murder. The suspect sustained injuries, was treated in hospital, and is now in custody.

“We are now focused on providing the right support for all the officers involved and ensuring a thorough investigation.”

Read more on Sky News:
Celebrity antiques expert reveals injuries after hammer attack
Hunt for mystery man who ‘raped two women four years apart’
Man involved in 50-hour police stand-off

Follow Sky News on WhatsApp

Keep up with all the latest news from the UK and around the world by following Sky News

Tap here

Assistant Commissioner Matt Jukes had earlier praised the injured officer’s “immense bravery”.

“Visiting him in hospital after he was injured, I was struck by his courage and humility,” he said.

“He didn’t want to talk about his own actions but to praise the professionalism of the police medic and other colleagues who provided him with vital first aid, and arrested the suspect.

“He was in good spirits and spoke with pride about the work his team do, protecting Londoners. And yesterday, he did just that – stepped forward to put himself between the public and a clearly dangerous individual.

“In doing so, he showed the best of the Met and reminded us of the daily challenges officers face while doing their duty to protect the public. The officer and the Met would also like to thank colleagues in the NHS for their care.

“The local community can be reassured that the incident was dealt with swiftly and that a thorough investigation is now under way.”

The Met said the force’s directorate of professional standards has been informed, as is routine in the circumstances.


Recommended For You