Standoff at London home ends after police toss tear gas through window

Article content

A six-hour standoff in a west London neighbourhood ended in a dramatic fashion when heavily armed London police officers threw a tear gas cannister through the broken front window of a home.

A man and woman, who was vomiting, emerged from the home at 48 Kinnear Cres. in the Westmount neighbourhood as the building on the tree-lined street west of Saunders secondary school filled with smoke.

Article content

They were taken into custody by officers who had spent several hours negotiating with people who refused to leave the home that police intended to search as part of an ongoing investigation.

The heavy police response in the normally quiet neighbourhood included members of the force’s emergency response unit. Police also deployed their light-armoured vehicle that they threatened to use to knock down the home’s front door.

London police released few details about the standoff that a resident of the neighbourhood said began at about 10 a.m.

A man surrenders A man surrenders to London police after they threatened to use their light-armoured vehicle to knock the front door down at 48 Kinnear Cres. in west London on Tuesday, March 19, 2024. (Derek Ruttan/The London Free Press)

“The police presence is related to an ongoing investigation and two people have been taken into custody so far,” police spokesperson Const. Matt Dawson said at about 2 p.m.

He declined to say if the investigation was related to drugs or stolen property.

“Currently there’s no threat to public safety,” Dawson said.

He said he didn’t know if houses on either side of 48 Kinnear Cres., a white two-story home, had been evacuated.

Officers smashed the home’s front window at about 12:45 p.m. and threw a search warrant inside.

Someone inside the home swore at police and at least one man and a woman inside the home yelled at police through the broken window during the standoff.

Article content

“Come to the front door and follow instructions from the officers,” police said. “You need to come to the front door.”

A man is taken into custody A man is taken into custody after exiting 48 Kinnear Crescent in London, Ontario on Tuesday March 19, 2024. (Derek Ruttan/The London Free Press)

A man wearing a hat, hoodie and sweatpants walked out of the house with his arms raised at about 1:45 p.m.

Police had threatened to break down the door with a large pole extending from the front of their armoured vehicle.

The man was handcuffed and led away by an officer.

“You don’t want to get shot,” an officer could be heard yelling to a woman in the home at about 2:45 p.m.

“Anyone willing to speak, call 911 and we’ll put you in touch with an investigator,” police said about 15 minutes later.

standoff A man yells at London police officers after they broke windows and threw in a search warrant at 48 Kinnear Cres. in London during a standoff on Tuesday, March 19, 2024. (Derek Ruttan/The London Free Press)

Police also said they were calling a phone inside the home and people should answer it.

At about 4 p.m., three officers went to the back of the house.

Two officers approached the broken front window. One officer held a shield as the second officer threw in a tear gas cannister.

There was yelling inside the house, and then up to five people came out of the house. Some were coughing, and one woman threw up.

They were all taken into custody.

Carlos Villaquiran, who has lived on Kinnear Crescent for more than four years, said police have been to the house before.

“I don’t know who lives there but there’s been problems with that house for many years. This is not the first time but this is the first time I see this many police officers.”

[email protected]

Share this article in your social network

Recommended For You