Suspect last seen on Victoria Tube line, say police

The man being hunted in connection with the chemical attack in south London was last seen on a Victoria Line tube heading south, Scotland Yard has said.

Abdul Ezedi was captured on CCTV at King’s Cross Underground Station at 9pm on Wednesday around an hour and a half after the attack in Clapham, in which a woman and her two children were sprayed with a corrosive substance.

In a new image released by police, Ezedi can be seen walking through a tube station, bearing significant facial injuries.

Police issued an urgent public appeal for anyone who might have seen him on Wednesday or since to contact them immediately, but warned people not to approach him as he is considered to be extremely dangerous.

Scotland also released further information about Ezedi’s known movements in the hours before and immediately after the attack.

It is now known that he left Newcastle, where he has been living, shortly after midnight on Wednesday morning.

It is believed he drove south to London in his white Hyundai, which was spotted in the Tooting area of south London at around 6.30am.

The car was further spotted in the Croydon area at around 4.30pm and then again in the Streatham area of south London at 7pm.

The attack took place in Lessar Avenue in Clapham at 7.25pm and Ezedi then attempted to drive away but crashed his car and fled on foot.

Eight minutes later at 7.33pm he boarded a Northern Line train at Clapham South Tube station and at 7.59pm is seen leaving that train at King’s Cross station in north London.

At 8.42pm, after leaving King’s Cross station, Ezedi is captured on CCTV at the Tesco supermarket in Caledonian Road, where he picks up a bottle of water.

He then appears to head back to King’s Cross where trains depart for Newcastle upon Tyne.

But rather than attempting to return to the North East he once again heads onto the Tube and at 9pm boards a Victoria Line southbound.

The Victoria Line from King’s Cross stops at Euston, Warren Street, Oxford Circus, Green Park, Victoria, Pimlico, Stockwell and terminates at Brixton.

As well as issuing the updated timeline, police also revealed that they had raided a number of properties in Newcastle and east London.

Commander Jon Savell from the Met said: “First of all, I would like to thank the public and the media for sharing our appeals for information following the incident in Clapham, which I know has caused a great deal of public concern.

“We have received dozens of calls of possible sightings of Abdul Ezedi and every single one has been followed up and investigated.

“Fast-paced enquiries, led by senior detectives have been carried out in the past 24 hours to trace the whereabouts of the suspect. And I’d like to thank Northumbria Police, British Transport Police and Transport for London for their help as we progress this investigation.

“A total of five search warrants were carried out overnight, including at two addresses in east London and three in Newcastle.

“Two empty containers with corrosive warnings on the label were found at an address in Newcastle. Forensic tests are currently ongoing to see if the containers held the substance used in the attack in Clapham.”

Recommended For You