Over twenty pubs in south London have joined an initiative, which offers customers up to half price off food and drink with a special beer mat, in a bid to boost footfall for venues.
CityStack is a discount scheme designed to help independent pubs get people through the door during the cost-of-living crisis – when fewer people are going out.
If customers buy a stack of beer mats, they will get exclusive discounts on food and drink. Each pack includes a special beer mat which gives £10 off a £20+ spend at any ten of the 50+ London pubs handpicked by the CityStack team – twenty-two of which are in southeast London.
If you use all ten stamps, you will have got £100 worth of food and drink for the £25 cost of the stack.
It also comes with a map and a stack of collectable informative beer mats to learn more about the selection of pubs.
The special beer mat.
CityStack was launched in 2021 by Alison Boutoille. Originally from Paris, she said she fell in love with pub culture when she came to the UK during the pandemic.
“It was sad to see fewer people were visiting them,” she told us. “It’s even harder for independent pubs to attract people during difficult times with expensive marketing costs.”
In an attempt to help out pubs in need, she created the scheme.
This year, the CityStack team asked the community they’ve built up to recommend the best independent pubs in London and visited hundreds of independent pubs across the city to handpick some of the best hidden gems.
The 50 pubs they chose are the ‘best.’
Alison commented: “It’s nice for a stocking filler. And there’s no expiry date on when you can use it.”
“Southeast London is our best area.”
How does it work
- Pick a pub on the map
- Visit the pub and order whatever you’d like
- When it’s time to pay, you show the special beer mat and have it stamped to get £10 off
- Do it all again with another pub
The pubs in southeast London involved are:
- The Lord Nelson, Borough
- The Gladstone Arms, Borough
- The Ship, Borough
- Simon the Tanner, Bermondsey
- The Old Justice, Bermondsey
- The Raven Tower Bridge, Bermondsey
- The Birds Nest, Deptford
- The Dog and Bell, Deptford
- The Victoria, Deptford
- The Waverley Arms, Nunhead
- Skehan’s, Nunhead
- The Copper Tap, Peckham
- The Herne Tavern, East Dulwich
- The Joiner’s Arms, Camberwell
- The Pilgrim, Kennington
- The Three Stags, Kennington
- The Pelton Arms, Greenwich
- The Prince of Greenwich, Greenwich
- The Star of Greenwich, Greenwich
- The Windmill, Vauxhall
- The Pineapple, Waterloo
- The Duke of Sussex, Waterloo
Click here to find out more. The packs can be purchased on their website.