West Ham United’s 1976 European finalists remembered

West Ham United will appear in their first European final for 47 years when they take on Fiorentina for the Conference League silveware in Prague next month.

Their last appearance in a European final came in the Cup Winners’ Cup in 1976, but it ended in heartbreak as they fell to a 4-2 defeat against Anderlecht at the Heysel Stadium in Belgium.

Here’s our quick guide to the dozen Hammers who appeared on that night in Brussels.

MERVYN DAY, 67 years old

Former Essex and England Schools goalkeeper, signed in 1973, appeared in 1975 FA Cup final win over Fulham aged 19 and won PFA Young Player of Year award.
Replaced by Phil Parkes, moved to Orient in 1979 for £100,000 after 194 league appearances for Hammers.
Finished with 640 career league appearances, managed Carlisle United to promotion and FL Trophy in 1997.
First-team coach for Alan Curbishley at Charlton, then with West Ham from December 2006 to September 2008.
Worked in scouting for Leeds and Brighton, as a co-commentator for ESPN and head of recruitment at West Brom until July 2015.


Full-back joined from Sunderland in September 1973 for £20,000.
Competed with John McDowell and Frank Lampard, then moved to KV Mechelen in 1977 after making 122 West Ham appearances.
Joined Darlington in 1979, then later took FA coaching badge and scouted for Sheffield Wednesday.


East Ham-born full-back started in youth team in 1964 and made first-team debut in 1967.
Won FA Cup in 1975 and 1980, as well as Division Two title in 1981, and had a testimonial in 1976.
Won two England caps.
Made 670 appearances before leaving on a free transfer at end of 1984-85 season.
Played 38 times for Southend, managed by Bobby Moore, before retiring.
Served as assistant manager to Harry Redknapp from 1994-2001, worked as consultant at Watford and Reading under Brendan Rodgers.
Son Frank Jr made 915 career appearances for West Ham, Swansea (loan), Chelsea, Manchester City and New York City, scoring 274 goals.
Won three Premier League titles, five FA Cups, two League Cups, two Community Shields and the Champions League and Europa League. 
Also won 106 England caps, scoring 29 times.

BILLY BONDS (captain), 76

Former Charlton youth and first-team player, joined West Ham for £50,000 in May 1967.
Played in 124 consecutive league games before injury in October 1970, moving from right-back to midfield in 1970-71.
Made captain after the departure of Bobby Moore in 1974 and led side to FA Cup win in 1975, ECWC final a year later and FA Cup win in 1980.
Retired in May 1984, returned to make further appearances before club record 799th and last appearance in April 1988, aged 41 years 226 days.
Four-time Hammer of the Year, awarded MBE in 1988 and club’s first lifetime achievement award in 2013.
East Stand at London Stadium was renamed Billy Bonds Stand in February 2019.
Became manager in February 1990 and led club to promotion in 1991 and 13th place in the Premier League in 1994, before resigning and being replaced by Redknapp.
Coached at QPR and Reading, became Millwall manager in May 1997 but sacked after 53 games.


Hornchurch-born defender helped Orient to Division Two before joining West Ham in October 1970.
Won FA Cup in 1975, then had loan spell at Team Hawaii in NASL in 1977.
Replaced by Alvin Martin, returned to Orient in 1979 after 396 games for the Hammers.
Also played for K Beerschot in Belgium, before moving into coaching at Charlton and management in New Zealand.
Was youth-team coach and first-team manager at Cambridge, then led Leyton Orient for five years before spells at Darlington, Farnborough, King’s ynn, Peterborough and Boston United.
Led Grenada national team to first CONCACAF Gold Cup in 2009, had short spells at CD Torrevieja in Spain, Belper Town, Finland’s PS Kemi Kings and Norway’s Floy before becoming director of football at Histon in June 2019.


East Ham-born defender came through youth team, winning 13 England U23 caps, and made first-team debut against Blackpool in October 1970, becoming first-team regular for 10 years, making 249 league appearances.
Missed 1976-77 season due to injury, then joined Norwich in August 1979 for around £90,000.
Was reserve-team coach at Carrow Road, then assistant manager at Bristol Rovers.


Poplar-born winger made debut in 1969 and played in 1975 FA Cup final and 1976 ECWC final, scoring first goal in 4-2 loss to Anderlecht.
Knee injury in January 1981 led to end of first-team career after 296 appearances, but played reserve-team football before joining Leyton Orient as player-coach.
Coached QPR reserves, Orient youth team and Tottenham reserves, before becoming Orient manager in 1995, but was sacked early in 1996-97 season and took job in Spurs academy.
Became chief scout at Millwall, then assistant manager, before job as scout at MK Dons and brief spell as coach of Arsenal U18s, before scouting role with Gunners.

GRAHAM PADDON, 57 (deceased)

Apprentice at Coventry under Noel Cantwell, helped Norwich to Division Two title in 1972 and 1973 League Cup final.
Joined West Ham in December 1973 for £170,000 – making him club’s most expensive signing at the time.
Ever-present in the FA Cup success of 1975 and the ECWC run a year later, and made 152 appearances overall before rejoining Norwich, only to break his leg.
Had spell with Tampa Bay Rowdies, went on loan to Millwall in 1981-82 and ended playing days in Hong Kong, before time at Alfreton Town.
Coached at Portsmouth and Stoke under Alan Ball and was caretaker manager of the Potters after Ball was sacked, then returned to Pompey as Jim Smith’s assistant before scouting at Derby, Liverpool and Leicester.
Led DPMM in Brunei Premier League in 2005-06 but died of a heart attack at home in Norfolk in November 2007.
West Ham goalkeeper Mervyn Day noted after his death “I’ll remember his dynamism, the balance he brought to the side but, above all else, the ferocity of his left foot in shooting practice”.


Hackney-born striker came through youth set-up at Watford before joining West Ham for £110,000 in September 1974.
Netted on debut against Sheffield United and was member of FA Cup-winning team at end of season.
Scored twice in ECWC quarter-final against ADO Den Haag, then went on loan to Chicago Sting in NASL in 1977.
Failed to hold down regular place in Hammers side after Achilles injury and joined Orient in August 1979 after 127 league and cup appearances.
After three years at Brisbane Road, made two substitute appearances for Luton Town, then had spells with Dagenham, Bishop’s Stortford and Heybridge Swifts.
Worked as a football agent, running Premier Management agency with Hayden Mullins and Kevin Nolan among clients, before leaving in 2005.


Barking-born midfielder made 643 appearances for club, was four-time Hammer of the Year, capped 47 times by England and made MBE in 1981, CBE in 1999 and knighted in 2004. A stand at Upton Park was named after him in 2009.
Signed apprenticeship deal in July 1965 and made senior debut in June 1967 in a friendly against Grasshopper Zurich in Switzerland.
League debut against Burnley in August, first goal on Boxing Day in win at Leicester.
Chipped bone in ankle in December 1969 and considered retirement, as Peter Eustace joined for £90,000. But returned after Martin Peters joined Tottenham in March 1970 and became a regular.
Transfer-listed at own request after arrival of Tommy Taylor, who was moved into defence in place of Alan Stephenson.
Ron Greenwood turned down £400,000 deal for Brooking and Bobby Moore from Derby boss Brian Clough in 1972-73, with Brooking rejecting £425,000 move to Tottenham in 1974.
Won two FA Cups – netting the winner in 1980 – and Division Two title, before final match in May 1984.
Had three-game spell as caretaker manager in April 2003 when Glenn Roeder collapsed due to a brain tumour, but seven points from nine could not save club from relegation on 42 points.
Led side for another 11 games after Roeder was sacked early the following season, before appointment of Alan Pardew in October 2003.
Worked as media pundit for BBC from 1984 and held administrative roles, including chairman of Sport England and director of football development at the FA. Knighted for services to sport.
When Upton Park stand was renamed after him, he said: “It is obviously a terrific honour, which I am very grateful for because this is my club. It will be my club forever. The great thing was being able to spend my whole career with West Ham, having a stint as caretaker manager and as a director. I still try and get to most of the home games. On my travels, if I am in a cab or something then everyone talks to me about West Ham because they know I am associated with the club. It is something I am only too pleased about whenever it happens. We have a very passionate and loyal support.”


Newcastle youth-team player joined West Ham for £60,000 in 1974 and scored in ECWC semi-final against Eintracht Frankfurt and the final.
Had loan spell with Team Hawaii and last of 87 league appearances for Hammers against Sunderland in March 1977.
Had spells at Cardiff, Norwich and Leicester, plus time on loan at Carlisle with former Hammer Pop Robson.
After a brief spell in Hong Kong, played for non-league Corinthian-Casuals and Wroxham, becoming assistant manager of the Yachtsmen in 1993-94.

Substitute: ALAN TAYLOR, 69 (for Lampard 47th minute)

Preston youth-team striker, built reputation at Morecambe and joined Rochdale, before signing for West Ham for £40,000 in 1974.
Had missed Rochdale’s earlier FA Cup ties and helped the Hammers to the final, netting both goals against Arsenal in the quarter-finals, a brace in a semi-final replay against Ipswich and another double in the 2-0 victory over Fulham at Wembley.
Netted three goals in run to ECWC final the following season, finishing as top scorer with 17, but played fewer games in next three seasons.
Made 124 appearances in all competitions, before joining Norwich. Had spells at Cambridge, Hull, Burnley and Bury, as well as in Canada with Vancouver Whitecaps, before finishing career at Norwich.


Recommended For You