Nightmares On Wax‘s label HiyaSelf Recordings Unlimited is releasing its first full-length on March 31st.
London rapper and producer Louis VI’s second album, Earthling, explores his Dominican heritage and challenges the colonial legacy of climate change. The 14-track LP includes cameos from North London rapper Lex Amor, jazz drummer Moses Boyd and Chicago-based rapper Mick Jenkins. It also features field recordings in the Amazon rainforest.
Louis VI’s environmental activism extends to a speech at COP 26 in Glasgow, and he also wrote the music for a short film about immigrants fighting climate change.
HiyaSelf Recordings Unlimited launched in April 2022 with a remix EP featuring Nightmares On Wax, Shabaka Hutchings and others, followed by a single by UK artist Danny Kane in August and a Louis VI EP in September.
Watch the video for “Yonn Manman Laté” featuring Moses Boyd, and listen to Nightmares On Wax’s rework.
01. FLIRTIN’ WITH EARTH
02. IT’S OK feat. Lex Amor
03. ORANGE SKIES feat. Mick Jenkins
04. F*CK HOW YOU FEEL
06. GOD IS A LADY
07. YONN MANMAN LATÉ feat. Moses Boyd
08. TAKE YOUR SHOES OFF feat. Alex Cosmo Blake (Interlude)
09. NEEDLE IN THE OCEAN feat. Oscar Jerome
10. SOMMER feat. Alex Cosmo Blake
11. TIL MORNIN’ feat. Bluestaeb and Aréna
12. PURPLE SKY SAMURAI
13. SHOTTER CALLED LIFE feat. Amahla
14. WHEN I BLOW feat. Alxndr London and Greg Paul
HiyaSelf Recordings Unlimited will release Earthling on March 31st, 2023.
Photo: Dylan James Moore