FA Cup, second round: Dagenham & Redbridge 1 Gillingham 1

Dagenham & Redbridge saw their hopes of an FA Cup upset dashed in stoppage time by Gillingham at Victoria Road.

Daryl McMahon’s side were moments away from a place in the third round, when Scott Kashket struck to save the League Two visitors and force a replay.

And Daggers will be wondering what might have been after taking the lead on 80 minutes through Josh Walker.

The first chance of the tie fell to the hosts as Myles Weston drove into the box on seven minutes, but Gillingham defended well.

Junior Morias then saw his goalbound effort saved by Jake Turner on the quarter-hour mark, before Manny Onariase denied the visitors with a timely defensive header midway through the half.

Play was held up while Elliot Justham and Dean Rance received treatment, with Daggers denying the visitors as they went through on goal on 36 minutes at the expense of a corner.

Morias then set Weston free, but his shot was deflected on 39 minutes, and captain Matt Robinson fired into the side netting from a corner in stoppage time as the scoreline remained blank at the break.

Turner saved from a Morias free-kick early in the second half, with Walker off-target soon after for the hosts.

And Gills manager Neil Harris made a triple substitution on the hour, sending on Lewis Walker, Jordan Green and Kashket for Joe Gbode, Stuart O’Keefe and Mika Mandron respectively.

Former Daggers captain Will Wright was booked moments later, with Luke Walker heading off the line from a Daggers corner as the home side kept pressing.

But Justham had to produce a great save on 72 minutes to deny Robbie McKenzie as Gills enjoyed some pressure of their own, with Lewis Walker seeing another effort blocked soon after.

Harry Phipps saw a header from a corner deflected, after Omar Mussa had made way for George Saunders, before Daggers finally made the breakthrough on 80 minutes as Walker took advantage of a slip in the visiting defence to strike for his eighth goal of the season.

Gillingham, having won their last five ties against non-league teams and also knocked Premier League Brentford out of the Carabao Cup on penalties, were given five minutes of stoppage time to try and avoid an exit.

And they drew level in the second of them through substitute Kashket, who forced the ball home from close range to ensure the two sides must meet again.

Dagenham & Redbridge: Justham, Hare, Onariase, Phipps, Sagaf, Weston, Rance, Robinson, Mussa (Saunders 77), Morias, Walker. Unused subs: Dixson, E Johnson, Zouma, Janneh, Scott, Franz, Bird.

Attendance: 1,702 (including 367 Gillingham fans).


Recommended For You