Chesterfield the toast of non-league after Emirates FA Cup shock win

Chesterfield were the toast of non-league after the National League side knocked out AFC Wimbledon 2-0 to reach the Emirates FA Cup Third Round for the second year in a row. 

Goals in each half from Armando Dobra and Jeff King at Plough Lane stunned their League Two hosts and set up another potentially lucrative tie after the Spireites drew Chelsea at this stage last season. 

The visitors took an unexpected lead a minute before half time thanks to Dobra’s cool finish and King made sure of Chesterfield’s safe passage after his cross fortuitously looped into the top corner with 14 minutes remaining. 

National League rivals Wrexham also booked their spot in the Third Round with star striker Paul Mullin bagging a second-half hat-trick in a 4-1 win over National League South Farnborough

A goalless first 45 minutes gave way to a goal fest in the second, with Mullin’s opener cancelled out by Oliver Pendlebury’s superb free kick. 

A replay looked to be on the cards until Elliot Lee slammed home from 20 yards with 12 minutes to go and Mullin wrapped up the win with two late strikes.

*Chef’s Kiss*@ElliotLee9, that is sublime.@Wrexham_AFC #EmiratesFACup

— Emirates FA Cup (@EmiratesFACup) November 26, 2022

But the lowest team left in the competition won’t be joining the Red Dragons in the next round after Forest Green Rovers survived a late onslaught at home to Alvechurch

Jediah Yeboah Abbey levelled for the visitors after Connor Wickham gave Forest Green the lead from the spot. 

Josh March hit back immediately for Ian Burchnall’s side who had to cling on for a 2-1 victory with Dom Bernard given his marching orders with 18 minutes remaining for a second bookable offence. 

In Saturday’s late kick off, National League Dagenham & Redbridge were moments away from a famous win at home to Gillingham of the league above. 

Josh Walker netted 10 minutes from time to put the hosts ahead but Scott Kashket popped up in the 92nd minute to send the tie to a replay. 

Poked 🏠 for @TheGillsFC!#EmiratesFACup

— Emirates FA Cup (@EmiratesFACup) November 26, 2022

League Two Grimsby overcame higher-league Cambridge United in a breathless 2-1 away win courtesy of a brace from Otis Khan, including a 90th minute breakaway winner. 

And there was late drama in south London, where Myles Hippolyte rose highest in the seventh minute of injury time to rescue a 2-2 draw for Stockport County against Charlton Athletic

In an all-League One clash, Shrewsbury Town put Peterborough United to the sword with a 3-1 win to send the Shrews into the Third Round for a sixth successive season. 

In the other two third-tier matchups, Portsmouth held on to record a 3-2 victory over MK Dons, while Oxford United comfortably eased past Exeter City 4-1. 

Non-league King’s Lynn Town’s bid to reach the FA Cup Third Round for the first time in the club’s history was swiftly ended after five second-half minutes in a 3-0 home loss to Stevenage

Steve Evans is a serious character, and he fancies revenge on @ManUtd in the #EmiratesFACup third round 😂

— Emirates FA Cup (@EmiratesFACup) November 26, 2022

Sheffield Wednesday also survived a scare against League Two Mansfield, needing two late quickfire goals from substitute Michael Smith to render George Lapslie’s first-half effort irrelevant. 

Walsall are in the hat for the Third Round by the skin of their teeth after substitutes Andy Williams and Douglas James-Taylor struck twice after the 88th minute to beat Carlisle United 2-1. 

Elsewhere, League One rivals Accrington Stanley and Barnsley made no mistake at home to non-league Barnet and League Two Crewe Alexandra respectively. 

There was also a comfortable home win for Hartlepool United over Harrogate Town after Joe Mattock’s red card consigned the visitors to a 3-1 defeat.

Recommended For You