A Premier League footballer has reportedly been arrested in north London on suspicion of rape.
The man, who is 29 but cannot be named for legal reasons, was being questioned by police over an alleged attack which was said to have taken place in June, according to the Telegraph.
Scotland Yard confirmed in a statement that a suspect had been taken into custody on Monday after being arrested at an address in Barnet.
A Metropolitan Police spokesman said: “On 4 July, an allegation of rape of a woman in her 20s was reported to police. It was reported the alleged rape happened in June 2022.
“On 4 July, a 29-year-old man was arrested at an address in Barnet on suspicion of rape and taken into custody where he remains.”
The Daily Telegraph reported that it understood the man to be a Premier League and international footballer who was due to play in the Qatar World Cup in November.