Firefighters in north London rescued four people from a blaze at a shop with flats above in Tottenham in the early hours of Wednesday. London Fire Brigade were called to the scene on West Green Road at 2.46am and the fire was under control by 4.11am.
Six fire engines and around 40 firefighters from Hornsey, Tottenham, Holloway and Stoke Newington fire stations attended, the brigade said. Part of the ground floor shop was damaged by the fire, and four people were treated at the scene by London Ambulance Service crews.
London Fire Brigade’s 999 control officers gave survival guidance to those inside the property before firefighters arrived. Station Commander Tom Conlon, who was at the scene, said: “Three people were rescued from a flat roof on the first floor of the building via a short extension ladder. Six further people left the building before the brigade arrived.
“Another man was also rescued from a neighbouring flat by firefighters wearing breathing apparatus. They used a fire escape hood and led the man to safety via an internal staircase.”
Fire escape hoods filter toxic smoke to allow people to breathe more easily during a fire. They provide up to 15 minutes of protection from four of the main fire gases – carbon monoxide, hydrogen cyanide, hydrogen chloride and acrolein.
The fire is believed to have been accidental and caused by an electrical fault.
Want more news from MyLondon? Sign up for our free newsletters here .