Chelsea have been served a damning blow ahead of the upcoming transfer window amid Todd Boehly’s mission to complete an ‘A-list’ overhaul this summer. The LA Dodgers owner, who has agreed to a £4.25billion deal to buy the west London club, is expected to ‘push for A-list signings’ to mark a new era at Stamford Bridge, according to the MailOnline.
However, while the American billionaire is keen to bolster Thomas Tuchel’s armoury, Boehly has been handed his first setback of the window. The Blues had an initial agreement to sign Ivan Perisic on a free transfer once his current deal with Inter Milan expires in the summer, according to Sports Mediaset on Friday.
The 33-year-old has featured 33 times in the Serie A for the Italian giants this season, directly contributing towards 13 goals. Perisic’s impressive displays over the years have courted the interest of several top-flight Premier League sides, though he’s never touched down on British soil.
READ MORE: Aurelien Tchouameni sends Todd Boehly £83m transfer message as Chelsea plot ‘A-list’ overhaul
The report claimed that the deal was subject to a medical, but the final formalities of said agreement had not yet been signed off. Sports Mediaset claimed that the west Londoners were ‘in the driving seat’ to sign the Croatia international. It’s believed that It’s Perisic has been demanding a new three-year deal worth just under £100,000-a-week with Inter, but they’ve offered him two-year deal worth around £65,000-a-week instead.
He publicly vented his frustration with the treatment he’s received from Nerazzurri, following his dazzling display in the Coppa Italia final against Juventus. Perisic scored twice to hand Inter the title.
“I don’t know anything yet,” Perisic told Sports Mediaset, speaking on his future at the San Siro. “With important players, you don’t wait to the last minute – you ought to know that too.”
Though reports have claimed that Chelsea are in the driving seat to secure his signature this summer, Perisic has seemingly put Tuchel’s side on the back-burner. GIFN claim that the versatile winger would prefer a switch to the Old Lady over the Blues or Newcastle, who are also reportedly in the race.
The 33-year-old operated in the wing-back role for Tottenham manager Antonio Conte at Inter, and he’s previously praised him for his attitude and hard work.
“When I came to Inter Milan in the summer of 2019, my initial idea was that Perisic was an offensive defender because I know he has the characteristics of doing this,” Conte said at the end of his title-winning season with Inter, via the Express.
“The coach can have all kinds of ideas, but he needs the players’ willingness to cooperate with his hard work. He was loaned to Bayern and came back with a different mentality.
“Perisic is an excellent player with outstanding physical strength. He is good at beating [his man]. He has the ability to play one-on-one. I need Perisic like this. He will keep because he has quality.”