These are the squalid scenes inside the home of a mother jailed for causing the death of her 11-month baby.
Eleven-month-old Nafahat Diini died of a chest infection after weeks of neglect at the hands of 25-year-old Fartun Jamal at her flat in Kingfisher Way, Brent Park, Neasden, north west London.
Shocked police who were called to the scene on March 13, 2019, found little food in the flat and noticed the stench of urine as soon as they passed through the door.
Inside Nafahat’s bedroom, there was human excrement on the walls and window and her cot – which was too small for her – was soaked in urine.
Rotting takeaway food was found throughout the property, though officers did not find a single toy or a photograph of the little girl.
On the day she died, local social services were due to make an unannounced visit to the flat after concerns were raised about the young girl’s welfare.
Police also noted, Jamal only had to cross the car park outside her flat to reach the local GP surgery.
Fartun Jamal was found guilty of causing the death of her daughter Nafahat. Her 11-month-old child was forced to sleep in a urine-soaked travel cot which was too small for her
Police discovered this urine-soaked travel cot inside the flat in Brent Park, Neasden, north west London where Nafahat slept
Human excrement was found on the walls and windows of Nafahat’s room
A congealed container of cooked pasta was being used as an ashtray
Harrow Crown Court heard Jamal made a series of web searches including ‘I can’t cope with my child anymore’ and ‘I want to give up my child’, while living with the baby in early 2019, jurors were told during a trial at Harrow Crown Court.
She knew Nafahat was unwell with a ‘very high temperature’ and poor appetite but failed to take her to a doctor, the court heard.
Visitors in the weeks leading up to the baby’s death recalled her cot was broken and the flat was overrun with takeaway boxes, dirty plates and nappies.
On February 22, social services attended the property after concerns were raised by a babysitter.
However, they warned Jamal ahead of their visit and, when they arrived, they found the flat was clean and the situation had improved.
A second social services visit, without warning, was planned for March 13 – the day Nafahat died.
When paramedics were called to the property by a neighbour at 12.24pm, Jamal told them she had found her daughter’s body after having a dream the baby had ‘stopped breathing’.
Police found human excrement and mouse droppings in Jamal’s bedroom
Officers found very little food in the flat, which was filled with dirty nappies, and rotting takeaway boxes
Jamal was charged with one count of causing Nafahat’s death by neglect, two counts of child cruelty in relation to Nafahat, and a third count of child cruelty in relation to another child.
A jury found her guilty on of all four counts on March 4 after deliberating for nearly nine hours.
The 25-year-old, who was released on bail ahead of sentencing, was jailed for five years and six months at Harrow Crown Court on Friday.
Detective Chief Inspector Madeline Ryder, the senior investigating officer, said: ‘This is an absolutely tragic case that resulted in the needless death of an innocent baby.
‘No child should ever have to suffer in this manner. Baby Nafahat was only 11 months old when she died in squalid conditions, surrounded by walls covered in faeces.
‘She died of an illness that was very treatable if Jamal had bothered to seek medical attention.
‘What is even more harrowing is that her GP’s surgery was less than 70 metres away from where she died and could be seen from Nafahat’s bedroom window, so help was within very easy reach.
One photograph taken by Scotland Yard showed the short distance Jamal had to travel to the nearest GP surgery to seek help
‘For the vast majority of parents, to care for, protect and nurture their children is their main priority.
‘However, Jamal was out partying just days before Nafahat’s death and had clearly placed her social life above that of the basic needs of her baby.
‘There is no sentence long enough to justify the taking of a baby’s life, however I am pleased with the outcome of today’s sentencing.’
Police were called to the scene of the house on March 13, 2019 by London Ambulance Service who had received a 999 alert from Jamal that her daughter was not breathing.
Despite the best efforts of first responders, they were unable to revive the little girl, whose cause of death was given as a respiratory tract infection.
The examination revealed Nafahat had ‘bronchitis complicated with pneumonia’.
According to the Metropolitan Police, responding officers noted the ‘strong smell of urine coming from inside’ the flat.
A search of the property found human excrement smeared on the walls and windows of Hafahat’s bedroom.
The young girl’s cot had collapsed and its bedding was soaked in urine. Officers noted she was in a travel cot which was unsuitable for a girl of her age.
In her mother’s bedroom, there was evidence of mouse droppings and more human excrement on the walls.
Throughout the property there were carrier bags of dirty nappies and rotting food and barely any food in the flat.
A bowl of congealed pasta was being used as an ashtray and there was no milk formula.
Also officers found a melted block of ice cream in a broken freezer.
Despite an extensive search, officers could not find any toys or even a single photograph of the little girl.