Murder investigation launched as man, 22, left ‘paralysed’ by stabbing dies in care home

An investigation has been launched after the death of a 22-year-old man in a care home, five and a half years after he was brutally stabbed in South London. Jamel Boyce was left paralysed, blind and unable to speak after he was attacked in Clapham in October 2016 when he was aged 16. He suffered severe brain damage due to oxygen deprivation after he became involved in a dispute outside a Sainsbury’s shop.

Paramedics had performed surgery on the side of the road in a desperate bid to save his life and managed to restore his heart, however the loss of oxygen to his brain for 14 minutes had resulted in the loss of 75-80 per cent of his brain function. Since then, he has remained in a vegetative state, requiring 24-hour care and resided in a care home in Streatham Hill on February 13. Police were called at 5.34am and Jemal was pronounced dead, with his family informed and supported by specialist officers.

READ MORE: Man collapses and dies on Clapham Common with police investigation underway

A post-mortem examination held on Wednesday, February 16, gave a provisional cause of death as a penetrating injury to the chest.

Opening his inquest today (Tuesday, February 22) in the presence of Jemal’s family, Coroner Xavier Mooyart told Inner South London Coroner’s Court: “I have reason to believe that a young man may have died a violent or unnatural death and as this arose in respect of a person whose body lay in my area after death, therefore I must open an inquest into his death.”

Do you want to stay up to date with the latest news, views, features and opinion from across the city?

MyLondon’s brilliant newsletter The 12 is absolutely jam packed with all the latest to keep you keep you entertained, informed and uplifted.

You’ll get 12 stories straight to your inbox at around 12pm. It’s the perfect lunchtime read.

And what’s more – it’s FREE!

The MyLondon team tells London stories for Londoners. Our journalists cover all the news you need – from City Hall to your local streets, so you’ll never miss a moment.

Don’t skip a beat and sign up to The 12 newsletter here.

Detectives from the Met’s specialist crime command unit are now investigating his death.

Tyrese Osei-Kofi, from Dulwich, was imprisoned for 10 years after he was found guilty of wounding Jemal with intent. He had handed himself into the police six days after the attack after his father had recognised him on media appeals. Then aged 16, he was found not guilty by an Old Bailey jury of attempted murder.

Enquiries continue.

Want more from MyLondon? Sign up to our daily newsletters for all the latest and greatest from across London here.

Read More
Read More

Recommended For You