Molineux fire: Wolves stadium catches fire as firefighters called to two-hour blaze

Friefighters were called to battle a fire at Molineux, the home of Premier League side Wolverhampton Wanderers, after it caught fire in the early hours of Sunday morning

Firefighters were needed to put out a fire at Molineux

A fire broke out at Wolverhampton Wanderers’ stadium Molineux in the early hours of Sunday morning.

The blaze ensued for around two hours from 1:40am as 20 firefighters eventually managed to contain the flames.

Flames and smoke were seen coming out of a conference suite in the Billy Wright stand.

It is understood that no one was in the stand when the fire hit.

Firefighters were quick to arrive on the scene and were able to confine the blaze to just one room.

West Midlands Fire Service issued a statement on the incident, a spokesman said: “At 1.56am this morning we responded to a fire at The Molineux Stadium, Wolverhampton.

“The first of four fire crews and 20 firefighters arrived two minutes after being mobilised.

“We contained the fire to a conference suite bar area. It was out by 3.40am.”

Have Your Say! Did you see the fire? Email [email protected]

They added that crews left the scene at 6.45am and would be return later to check on the situation.

It was also revealed that the fire is believed to have been started accidentally, in an electrical appliance.

Crews from stations across the city, which included Wolverhampton, Fallings Park, Willenhall and Bilston, were quick to head to Molineux

Wolves played away from their Molineux home on Saturday afternoon, securing a 2-1 win in west London against Brentford.

Ruben Neves scored the winner for Bruno Lage’s men, who continue their push for a European spot.

Their next game at Molineux will be on Saturday when they take on Norwich City in the FA Cup.

Pep Guardiola beats Jurgen Klopp and Sir Alex Ferguson to another Premier League record

Kylian Mbappe gives Tottenham unlikely transfer boost after Mauricio Pochettino chat

Lage said following the win at Brentford: “It was a strange first half and the two breaks didn’t help the game’s rhythm.

“But we did very well in the second half, the break helped us and we came with that will to win the game.

“We started well and scored a goal and then they scored, they are very good from set pieces.

“But we came again and in the end we scored goals and I’m happy because we came with the personality to play our game with the consistency I have been asking from them.

“It’s very hard to play against this team, especially at home. I am happy because of the quality of our work.”

Read More

Steven Gerrard takes swipe at Gary Neville over Jamie Carragher friendship

Read More

Four arrests made as West Ham fans clash with police after Man Utd defeat

Recommended For You