Home North London Antonio Conte provides transfer update as Tottenham head into January window

Antonio Conte provides transfer update as Tottenham head into January window

4

Tottenham Hotspur boss Antonio Conte has said signings are needed in January, with his squad having to “improve the quality” in the coming transfer window.

The Italian joined Spurs in early November, taking over from Nuno Espirito Santo, who lasted just nine Premier League games in north London.

Conte has since guided the side to sixth in the league, with two games in hand on those above them that could see the side jump up into the top four.

The 52-year-old is yet to taste defeat in the league with Tottenham, winning four of his seven matches in charge so far.

However, it has been far from plain sailing since his arrival. Injuries to the likes of Cristian Romero has impacted the side, whilst postponed games due to Covid-19 and weather have also hit Spurs.

Read More
Read More

Amongst all of the chaos, Conte has also been attempting to implement his own style on the squad, one that has won him many trophies and league titles along the way.

January may provide the opportune moment for the Italian coach to put his own stamp on the squad going forward. Speaking in his pre-match press conference ahead of Watford on Saturday, Conte discussed the winter transfer window.

“For sure [signings are needed],” he said. “After only two weeks I said we needed to improve the quality of this squad and for sure we need to.

“I was sure after seven to 10 days about this and then I had to make the evaluation over who I can count on and who I can’t. The gap is very large and we need to work a lot and try to build and improve our squad.”

The manager has been known to be keen on entering the transfer market with backing, something he may be looking to have once again at Spurs.

He continued: “I made evaluation after two months of work with my players.

“The situation is more clear than before. I am waiting to have a meeting with the club to give my opinion about the squad and what I think about our situation.”

Any conversation is likely to include Director of Football Fabio Paratici, who was a key figure in making signings during the summer period.

It may not only be incomings at Hotspur Way though, as a number of players have been linked with a move away.

One of which is Tanguy Ndombele, who when asked about a potential departure in January, Conte said: “But I repeat before to speak about the transfer market, it’s better for me and the club to speak together and then we’ll have the situation more clear than now.

“To speak about players now whether they can come or go is not right and it’s not honest.”

January provides an interesting time for Spurs, who may be able to overcome some of the chaos of the early parts of the season and flourish into a side that Conte can get winning on a regular basis.

Time will tell if they can make the top four, but the next month may be the most decisive factor come the end of the season.

https://www.football.london/tottenham-hotspur-fc/transfer-news/antonio-conte-january-transfer-tottenham-22606145