A 27-year-old woman who was arrested on suspicion of child neglect after two sets of twin boys died in a house fire in south London has been released on bail.
The four boys, brothers Kyson and Bryson, aged four, and Leyton and Logan, aged three, died after the blaze ripped through the house on Thursday despite firefighters’ efforts to rescue them.
The children had been left alone at the mid-terrace house on Collingwood Road, Sutton. The woman was detained on suspicion of child neglect and has now been bailed.
She will return to a south London police station in mid-January, the Metropolitan Police said.
On Friday the children’s father described them as “bright, caring, loveable boys”.
Dalton Hoath said in a statement given to MailOnline: “Myself and my family are utterly devastated by this tragic loss.
Flowers and toys are left near the scene in Sutton, south London (Photo: PA)
“They were bright, caring, loveable boys, but most of all sons, brothers, grandsons, great grandsons, nephews and cousins.
“We would like to thank all the emergency services who did so much to try and save our boys, and also the local community who have come together at this difficult time.
“I would ask that my family are given time to grieve in private.”
In a post on Facebook on Friday, the boys’ grandfather Jason Hoath, deputy safety officer at AFC Wimbledon, wrote: “I am devastated to say that the horrendous house fire that took place in Sutton last night leading to four children loosing their life’s were my amazing smart and beautiful grandsons.
“[They were] taken too soon they will always be in our hearts and thoughts.
“Boys I love you forever. Grandad xxx”.
Eight fire engines and 60 firefighters were deployed to tackle the blaze on Thursday night. It took the emergency workers around an hour and a half to bring the blaze under control.
More from News
Using breathing apparatus, firefighters had tried to rescue the children through the “intense blaze” on Thursday evening. The boys had been carried from the building and given CPR before being taken to two south London hospitals, where they were pronounced dead.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
London Fire Commissioner Andy Roe said the boys’ deaths had “left everyone numb with profound sadness” following the blaze.
Chief Superintendent Dave Stringer, policing commander for Croydon, Bromley and Sutton Police, said: “The thoughts of everyone at the Metropolitan Police are with the family and friends of the four young boys who lost their lives in this tragic incident.
“We know it will have come as a great shock to the local community and as part of that community, we are here to offer whatever support we can.
“Local detectives continue to investigate and will be working with colleagues from the London Fire Brigade to determine what caused the fire and to investigate any other relevant matters.”