The young girl was found unresponsive at the home in Shadwell, east London, yesterday afternoon. She was rushed to a hospital where she tragically died a short time later
An 11-year-old girl has died and three other people have fallen ill after “pest control” chemicals were found in a block of flats in east London.
The young girl was found unresponsive at a flat in Shadwell yesterday afternoon.
She was rushed to a hospital where she tragically died a short time later.
Other residents in the building also said they were feeling unwell and three people were taken to hospital, where they remain.
After an evacuation, the London Fire Brigade discovered a “quantity of chemicals” believed to be used for pest control in the building, My London reports.
John Biggs, Mayor of Tower Hamlets, described the situation as a “terrible tragedy” and vowed to support the families of those involved.
He said: “My thoughts and those of TH Councillors are with the family and others in Sutton Street following the chemical incident in Nida House, E1, in which a young girl lost her life, others evacuated with some in hospital. We will support the families. A terrible tragedy.”
Apsana Begum, MP for Poplar and Limehouse, offered her sympathies to the young girl’s family, as she tweeted: “Tragically this has resulted in one fatality of a young girl, from chemicals found within the building.
“My thoughts and prayers are with her and her loved ones. I am following up to support constituents including everyone who was evacuated and in care of Tower Hamlets council.”
Rabina Khan, Liberal Democrat councillor for Shadwell ward, told MyLondon she has been at the scene since last night, comforting residents.
She said: “I’ve been here since last night and I’ve been calming people down. We have to leave the investigation to the professionals and avoid any conspiracy theories.
“It’s such a tragic incident since an 11-year-old girl has died and I’ve had to comfort residents. It’s definitely had an impact on me too, as I have children of my own.
“I am making sure everyone affected is being supported. Residents have been moved into hotels as I understand. It’s such a shocking incident. I can’t believe it.”
Teen girl narrowly escapes death after long hair trapped in swimming pool filter pump
‘I was sterilised at 32 to combat excruciating period pain – I’m no less of a woman’