The family of a Croydon man have recently had the heart-breaking news that he may only have three more months to live.
Richard Davis has been battling rectum cancer for the last two years, but has now been discharged from the Royal Marsden Hospital in Sutton where he was receiving radiotherapy and chemotherapy.
Doctors there believe Richard’s condition has deteriorated to the point of no return, and have recently told his wife Cindy, 38, that her husband is living out his last weeks.
READ MORE: ‘Biggest ever cancer catastrophe’ as up to 740,000 potential patients missed
Cindy, who had quit her job as a retail assistant two years ago to look after her sick husband, has now turned to the online community to help give Richard “a lovely send off that he truly deserves”.
Speaking to MyLondon, Cindy said she hopes to give her husband a cremation in accordance with his wishes, but has little money on account of being out of work for so long.
“I’ve asked him three times and he’s said he wants to have a cremation, so that’s what we’re going with,” she said. “I’m also planning to organise a wake for him”.
Cindy also told MyLondon about how she’s had to bear the brunt of much of the stress since her husband’s diagnosis and that he isn’t actually aware of the campaign.
She said: “Richard suffered a stroke two years ago, so his mental state isn’t what it was before. He’s hoping that he will get better, so I let him think whatever he wants to think to make him happy. He doesn’t know about the campaign”.
Do you want to stay up to date with the latest news, views, features and opinion from across the city?
MyLondon’s brilliant newsletter The 12 is absolutely jam packed with all the latest to keep you keep you entertained, informed and uplifted.
You’ll get 12 stories straight to your inbox at around 12pm. It’s the perfect lunchtime read.
And what’s more – it’s FREE!
The MyLondon team tells London stories for Londoners. Our journalists cover all the news you need – from City Hall to your local streets, so you’ll never miss a moment.
Don’t skip a beat and sign up to The 12 newsletter here.
She adds the situation has particularly been hard for their 14-year-old daughter, who like everyone else around Richard, has been advised not to bring up the topic of death around him.
“He has two daughters, an older one and one with me. They’re both aware. The younger one is trying to stay strong, but she recently had a breakdown,” she said, struggling to hold back her tears.
Cindy continues: “St Christopher’s Hospice is more involved with him now that he’s been discharged from hospital.
“He’s lost a lot of weight. He’s lost his appetite. He can’t eat anything more than a breakfast bowl.
“Now he’s terminal. They’ve given him between three to twelve months, according to the oncologist at the Royal Marsden. It’s a lot of information to take in”.
Cindy hopes that through her fundraiser, she can raise up to £3000 to cover Richard’s funeral costs.
She hopes at very least donations reach £500, having so far raised £130 from six different donors since November 25.
On her fundraiser page, she says: “I would just like to thank all the people who have donated! We love you all. And thank you for helping us through this terrible stage in time”.
Anyone who wishes to contribute towards Cindy’s campaign can do so on the Go Fund Me website by clicking here
Do you want the latest crime, sport, or breaking news in London straight to your inbox? Tailor your needs to suit you here.