It’s been quite the week for the I’m A Celebrity…Get Me Out of Here! team, as on top of the disruption caused by Storm Arwen and Richard Madeley’s shock exit, there was also an intruder on the set.
A trespasser made it onto the grounds of Gwrych Castle – past extensive security which includes bulletproof detection robots – and was only discovered mere metres away from the campsite.
Security were alerted by their high tech systems and a guard reportedly tackled the intruder to the ground before throwing him out.
READ MORE: ITV I’m A Celebrity: Live show cancelled for the first time ever over Storm Arwen fears
The trespasser didn’t come into contact with the celebrities or hosts Ant McPartlin and Declan Donnelly, The Sun reports.
Had they made it onto the set, the show would have breached its strict Covid bubble.
An ITV spokesperson told The Mirror : “A security breach was identified and an intruder was removed from the location with immediate effect. The safety of both our celebrities and our production crew remains our primary concern.”
A source told The Sun: “The intruder in question has tried to break in earlier in the run but did not manage it.
“It was a close call but the quick-thinking security staff realised there had been a breach due to various pieces of kit they have set up – including the Armadillo systems – and he was thrown off site immediately.
“He was not far from getting into the actual castle itself, where the celebrities are. I’ve no idea what would have happened if that had been the case as it could have been a breach of the COVID bubble and could have put the whole show at risk. It’s a real headache for the security and crew.”
Do you want to stay up to date with the latest news, views, features and opinion from across the city?
MyLondon’s brilliant newsletter The 12 is absolutely jam packed with all the latest to keep you keep you entertained, informed and uplifted.
You’ll get 12 stories straight to your inbox at around 12pm. It’s the perfect lunchtime read.
And what’s more – it’s FREE!
The MyLondon team tells London stories for Londoners. Our journalists cover all the news you need – from City Hall to your local streets, so you’ll never miss a moment.
Don’t skip a beat and sign up to The 12 newsletter here.
This all happened in the same week as Richard Madeley’s exit from the castle after he was rushed to hospital and couldn’t return as he would have been breaking the Covid bubble.
The 65-year-old presenter said in a message to his camp mates that it was all a ‘false alarm’ and that he is safe and well.
The live show was also cancelled for the first time in 19 years on Friday (November 26) and a pre-recorded episode was aired instead as a precautionary measure due to Storm Arwen.
Want stories like this delivered straight to your inbox? Sign up to our FREE newsletters here .