A London mum has blasted a hotel in Manchester after staying in a room with mouldy tea bags, a dirty toilet, dead insects, no electricity and no room key.
The anonymous mum was visiting the Victoria Park Hotel in Rusholme, Manchester, with her family while dropping her daughter off at university, Manchester Evening News reports.
Two rooms at the hotel cost the family £130 for a one-night stay and was booked via booking.com.
READ MORE: Disabled woman, 56, ‘drowning’ in black mould for 2 years makes desperate plea to council for help
(Image: Vincent Cole)
“It wasn’t the most expensive place, so I wasn’t expecting luxury,” the mum said. “I’ve travelled quite a lot and used booking.com for years.
“I wasn’t expecting anything big, that wasn’t the point of the journey. But we were quite shocked.
“It was the worst place I’ve ever stayed, I’ve never seen anything like it.”
Pictures obtained by the MEN show paint flaking off the walls and dead insects on the window sills.
The mum was told at check-in that there was a problem with the keys, which meant they wouldn’t be allowed to keep one for the room.
Another member of staff who didn’t speak English instead used a master key to open both rooms.
The family were escorted back to their room upon their return and again told they couldn’t keep a key.
MyLondon’s brilliant new newsletter The 12 is packed with news, views, features and opinion from across the city.
Every day we’ll send you a free email at around 12pm with 12 stories to keep you entertained, informed and uplifted. It’s the perfect lunchtime read.
The MyLondon team tells London stories for Londoners. Our 45 journalists cover all the news you need – from City Hall to your local streets.
Never miss a moment by signing up to The 12 newsletter here.
Eventually, the mum was given a key that opened both doors but said the situation was “very unnerving”.
She said: “It was getting late and my 8-year-old-daughter was getting tired. I took her to the bathroom and left it as soon as I entered.
“I’m not sure what was worse – the excrement traces on the toilet seat, the mould-eaten, filthy, window which did not shut, or the hair left in the shower plug.
“Never mind the décor of random pieces of tiles violently pushed together, clearly against their will. The floor stuck to our shoe.
“The overwhelming stench of mould was permeating every pore of our skin.”
After getting her daughter to sleep, the mum tried to make a cup of tea but found there was no electricity in the room as none of the sockets worked.
“I was trapped in a filthy, stinky room with no phone and no electricity and windows that didn’t lock,” she said.
“I wasn’t about to leave my daughter unattended in this place where one key opens multiple rooms, and go seek help at the reception.”
The ventilation in the room was so bad the tea bags were mouldy, she added.
“My daughter was asthmatic as a child, thankfully she grew out of it but that was the first night she has coughed like that since she was three or four years old,” she said.
“I found it difficult to breathe. I don’t know whether it was the anxiety as well.”
Victoria Park Hotel did not respond to a request for comment when contacted by the MEN.
The mum was initially offered an apology and a £26 travel credit by booking.com, which was bumped up to £130 after the MEN approached the hotel for comment.
A spokesperson said: “The health and safety of our customers is a key priority for us at Booking.com, as well as listing accommodation that meets the expectations of travellers, which clearly did not happen in this instance.
“We have been in touch with the customer, offered a full refund and any other costs relating to the relocation and will be contacting the accommodation owner to address how they prepare their property for visitors to ensure all future guests have a good experience.”
Do you want the latest crime, sport, or breaking news in London straight to your inbox? Tailor your needs to suit you here .