Kingston man admits to having ingredients to make explosives

A man with a history of mental ill-health and drug abuse is facing a possible life sentence after admitting to possessing explosive substances.

Paramedics visited Michael Pym-Nixson’s flat in Kingston-Upon-Thames, South West London, and treated his hand for burn injuries on the night of March 19.

Thinking he seemed suspicious, paramedics then reported him to police.

Read more: New Cross fire survivor ‘wants truth’ after murderer’s confession

After raiding the 54-year-old’s home, counter-terrorism officers discovered ingredients used to make Armstrong’s mixture – a sensitive primary explosive – and black powder on March 22.

An extremely dangerous mixture, the explosive is used in fireworks in tiny quantities and can explode violently.

Here at MyLondon, we’re doing our very best to make sure you get the latest news, reviews and features from your area.

Now there’s a way you can keep up to date with the areas that matter to you with our free email newsletters.

We have seven newsletters you can currently sign up for – including a different one for each area of London and one dedicated totally to EastEnders.

The local newsletters go out twice a day and send the latest stories straight to your inbox.

From community stories and news covering every borough of London to celebrity and lifestyle stories, we’ll make sure you get the very best every day.

To sign up to any of our newsletters, simply follow this link and select the newsletter that’s right for you.

And to really customise your news experience on the go, you can download our top-rated free apps for iPhone and Android. Find out more here.

On Wednesday (November 3), Pym-Nixson pleaded guilty at Southwark Crown Court to two counts of possessing explosive substances contrary to Section 4 of the Explosive Substances Act 1883.

Prosecuting counsel Thomas Payne said: “There is a history of mental health problems and drug abuse which impacts on the picture.”

Pym-Nixson, of St George’s Road, Kingston Upon Thames, was remanded into custody for sentencing on December 10, facing a maximum sentence of life imprisonment, Mr Payne told the court.

Judge Gregory Perrins ordered a pre-sentence report, adding: “I am not going to sentence you today, I would like to know a little bit more about you.

“You will come back in five weeks’ time. You understand a custodial sentence is inevitable, but you will find out on that day how long it will be.”

Read More
Read More

Recommended For You