Home Breaking News Qatari businessman who caused Hertfordshire pedestrian’s death in Rolls-Royce crash avoids jail

Qatari businessman who caused Hertfordshire pedestrian’s death in Rolls-Royce crash avoids jail

7

A businessman who caused the death of a Hertfordshire pedestrian while speeding in his Rolls-Royce near Buckingham Palace has avoided jail.

Qatari Hassan Nasser Al-Thani, 42, was driving at almost double the 30mph limit when he crashed the Rolls-Royce Wraith into Charles Roberts from Harpenden, Hertfordshire, on August 22, 2019.

The 66-year-old, who was a recently retired Network Rail signalling manager, died at the scene in Duke of Wellington Place.

Read more: Get the latest news from across the courts

On Tuesday (October 19), Al-Thani pleaded guilty to causing death by careless driving and was sentenced to eight months’ imprisonment, suspended for two years, at the Old Bailey in London.

Sentencing, Judge Richard Marks QC said Al-Thani was driving near Hyde Park Corner, having been out to dinner with a friend, PA reports.

Mr Roberts had stepped into the road to cross as Al-Thani set off when traffic lights turned green.

Subscribe to our free daily HertsLive newsletter below to get the latest news straight to your inbox:

If you’re looking for a way to stay up to date with the latest breaking news from around Hertfordshire, the HertsLive newsletter is a good place to start.

The twice-daily update will deliver the top news and features straight to your inbox.

We choose the most important stories of the day to include in the newsletter, including crime, court news, long reads, traffic and travel, food and drink articles and more.

Signing up to the newsletter is simple. All you have to do is to click here and type in your email address.

It’s one of the many ways that you can read the news that matters to you from HertsLive.

Judge Marks said: “I am entirely satisfied from the evidence that if you had been driving at or within the speed limit his death would have been avoided.”

Having been stopped at traffic lights, the defendant had accelerated away at speeds of up to 54 mph before braking as he approached the victim, the court heard.

The judge added: “You were to tell the police – clearly incorrectly – that you had moved off slowly from the lights when suddenly and without warning someone ran out in front of your car. The evidence tells a very different story.

“Shortly prior to the impact you were driving at a speed that was not far short of twice the legal limit and therein, in my judgement, lies the seriousness of this offence.”

Al-Thani, 41, pleaded guilty to causing death by careless driving and was sentenced to eight months’ imprisonment, suspended for two years

Al-Thani saw Mr Roberts “very late” and the only explanation was that he was “simply not paying attention”, the judge continued.

The defendant, from Prince of Wales Terrace, Kensington, west London, had previously denied the charge when he appeared by video-link from Qatar at earlier hearings.

The court heard how Al-Thani was the registered owner of the Rolls-Royce with Qatari number plates, which has since been sold.

In the crash, the vehicle’s windscreen was smashed and front headlight damaged.

In a prepared statement given to police at the time, Al-Thani expressed sadness at the death and offered his condolences to Mr Roberts’s family and friends.

A statement read on behalf of the victim’s family outlined the devastation of Mr Roberts’ brother.

The family said: “It is a relief to him the driver responsible is to be held to account.”

Want the latest Herts news direct to your inbox? Sign up here.

Read More
Read More

https://www.hertfordshiremercury.co.uk/news/hertfordshire-news/qatari-businessman-who-caused-hertfordshire-6085673