North London man, 38, stabbed friend to death with knife in ‘ferocious’ attack after argument

A North London man stabbed his friend to death with a kitchen knife in a ‘ferocious’ attack, after an argument broke out between the pair in February this year.

Dwayne Stewart-Akers, 38, of Highgate Road, NW5, was found guilty at Harrow Crown Court, on Friday, October 15 of the murder of his friend Jack Ampadu.

On the evening of Monday, February 15, 2021, Jack, 37, had gone to visit Stewart-Akers at his flat in Highgate Road, but an argument broke out between the pair.

READ MORE:Boy, 16, charged with murder of teenage refugee

Jack left the flat, but was followed by Stewart-Akers onto the landing, where he was stabbed multiple times with a kitchen knife in a ‘ferocious’ attack.

Shortly before 7.40pm emergency services were called to the communal flats, where they found Jack suffering from multiple stab wounds.

MyLondon’s brilliant new newsletter The 12 is packed with news, views, features and opinion from across the city.

Every day we’ll send you a free email at around 12pm with 12 stories to keep you entertained, informed and uplifted. It’s the perfect lunchtime read.

The MyLondon team tells London stories for Londoners. Our 45 journalists cover all the news you need – from City Hall to your local streets.

Never miss a moment by signing up to The 12 newsletter here.

Despite the best efforts of paramedics, he died at the scene a short time later.

When officers arrived at the flats, they were met by Stewart-Akers who claimed that Ampadu and his friend were still fighting on the landing, before Stewart-Akers tried to run away.

He was seen trying to escape, and was stopped and arrested. The moment of the fatal stabbing was captured on CCTV.

Detective chief inspector Claire Hine, the lead investigator, said: “This was a violent and unprovoked assault on a man who was – up until that moment – friends with the defendant.

“The ferocity of the attack was clear to see and left Jack Ampadu with a number of injuries which proved fatal. Shortly after the murder, Stewart-Akers pretended to be a victim but his ruse was identified and he was arrested by quick thinking officers.

“Our thoughts remain with Jack’s family.”

Stewart-Akers will be sentenced at Harrow Crown Court on October 21.

Want more crime news? Sign up to MyLondon’s FREE newsletters here.

Read More
Read More

Recommended For You