Man handed 27 years in prison for ‘cold-blooded and premeditated’ Enfield murder

A man has been sentenced to prison after he was found guilty of murdering a 29-year-old man earlier this year.

Abdullahi Mahamoud was fatally shot at a fast-food restaurant in Enfield on March 19 this year after being chased and forced to climb a concrete wall in his attempt to escape.

Khallid Hogan, 20, was found guilty of his murder and appeared at the Old Bailey on Monday (October 4) for sentencing.

READ MORE: Met Police to be investigated over ‘systemic failures’ after Sarah Everard case

He was given 27 years in prison with a concurrent 42 months for perverting the court of justice.

MyLondon’s brilliant new newsletter The 12 is packed with news, views, features and opinion from across the city.

Every day we’ll send you a free email at around 12pm with 12 stories to keep you entertained, informed and uplifted. It’s the perfect lunchtime read.

The MyLondon team tells London stories for Londoners. Our 45 journalists cover all the news you need – from City Hall to your local streets.

Never miss a moment by signing up to The 12 newsletter here.

Detective chief inspector Claire Hine, the lead investigator, said: “Hogan carried out a cold-blooded and premeditated attack on Abdullahi Mahamoud, shooting at him at least five times. It was extremely fortunate that nobody else was injured in this incident, as there were four other people in the restaurant at the time.

“Thanks to the tireless and meticulous work of my team of detectives, who pieced together Hogan’s movements on the day of the murder by analysing hours of CCTV footage and mobile phone data, he has now been convicted of murder and will spend a long time in prison.

“Violence of this kind on the streets of London will not be tolerated and Met officers and detectives work 24/7 to ensure that people like Hogan are arrested and prosecuted as swiftly as possible.”

1 NRM147 21KhallidHogan

Khallid Hogan

The court heard how Mr Mahamoud went to Bagel Brotherz on Hertford Road and, while waiting for his food, was approached by Hogan with a gun.

At around 4.36pm, Hogan shot at Mr Mahamoud four times but none of the bullets hit him or any of the other five people in the shop.

Mr Mahamoud fled out of the back door of the fast-food restaurant, into a large yard of garages where he climbed a concrete wall to escape.

As he was scaling the wall, jurors heard how Hogan fatally shot him once in the head with a 9mm Makarov self-loading pistol.

Investigators recovered a fired bullet from the victim’s cap after it had exited through the back of his head.

He collapsed further down the road and Hogan fled.

Mr Mahamoud was rushed to Royal London Hospital but, despite medical professionals’ best efforts, he died the same day.

Download the MyLondon app for the latest news and breaking updates

Get the latest London news straight on your phone without having to open your browser – and get all the latest breaking news as notifications on your screen.

The MyLondon app gives you all the stories you need to help you keep on top of what’s happening in the best city ever.

You can download it on Android here and Apple here.

Hogan was arrested on May 11 and gave a no comment interview.

The court also heard how Hogan attempted to create a false alibi by ringing Alex Weekes, 20, then kept the line open for 56 minutes during the shooting.

0 NRM147

Alex Weekes

Both men were charged with perverting the court of justice.

Weekes was found guilty of perverting the court of justice at the Old Bailey and was sentenced to 20 months imprisonment.

Want more from MyLondon? Sign up to our daily newsletters for all the latest and greatest from across London here.

Got a story you think we should write? Get in touch [email protected] .

Read More
Read More

Recommended For You