Crystal Palace fans fume over police failures after Brighton clash

Crystal Palace fans took to social media to criticise post-match policing after a tense match against Brighton on Monday night.

The South London team played their decades old rivals Brighton & Hove Albion at Selhurst Park.

But at around 10pm, shortly after the match finished, videos shared on Twitter showed chaos unfolding at Norwood Junction station.

Ben Nagle, assistant sports editor at the MailOnline, tweeted: “The latest episode in the ‘Disastrous Palace-Brighton policing’ series at Norwood Junction. Hundreds of police on the platform, train to East Croydon turns up… half the fans, and all the police, get on – and then they let the entire away end into the station, no police in sight.”

Another fan wrote that away and home fans were let into the station at the same time which caused chaos.

“It was awful. We were penned in by Norwood Junction, about 20 of us, between the wall to the cherries and two police vans,” one Crystal Palace fan claimed on Twitter.

“A few people were put in with us who weren’t even football fans but they weren’t allowed out, they had no f****** clue why. Madness.”

Here at MyLondon, we’re doing our very best to make sure you get the latest news, reviews and features from your area.

Now there’s a way you can keep up to date with the areas that matter to you with our free email newsletter.

The South London newsletter goes out twice day – at 7am and 4pm – and sends you the latest stories straight to your inbox.

From Croydon to Catford, Peckham to Putney, we’ll make sure you get the very best every day.

To sign up to the South London newsletter, simply follow this link and select the newsletter that’s right for you.

And to really customise your news experience on the go, you can download our top-rated free apps for iPhone and Android. Find out more here.

A Crystal Palace supporter who was at the station said that he would have expected Brighton fans to be held longer by police until Palace fans had got on their trains home.

But when Brighton fans arrived at the station there were still a large number of Palace fans waiting for their trains home.

In a video tweeted by journalist Logan MacLeod, fights can be seen breaking out between fans on a platform at the station with police in the middle of the crowd.

Met Police have been contacted for further comment on the chaos.

The Crystal Palace v Brighton match ended in a 1-1 draw on Monday night after the away side scored a 95th-minute goal to bring the game level.

Read More
Read More

Recommended For You