Home Breaking News Thirty people evacuated from flats as takeaway catches fire in Wembley

Thirty people evacuated from flats as takeaway catches fire in Wembley


Thirty people were evacuated from flats as a takeaway caught fire in Wembley this lunchtime.

Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters rushed to the scene of the blaze on High Road in Wembley earlier this afternoon (August 18).

London Fire Brigade (LFB) were called to reports of the fire, at fast-food takeaway shop Peri Peri fried chicken, at just after 12.10pm.

READ MORE: 100 firefighters and 15 fire engines tackle restaurant blaze on Wembley High Road

Around 30 people left the building, which is partly made up of residential flats, before crews arrived.

There were no reports of any injuries, though LFB said half of the ground floor of the building was damaged by fire.

Around 30 people from the building during the fire

Part of the extraction system from the ground floor to the roof of the building was also damaged by the blaze.

Fire crews from Wembley, Park Royal and Northolt fire stations all rushed to the scene to help tackle the fire.

The flames were under control by 1.10pm.

0 GettyImages 1028621910

MyLondon’s brilliant new newsletter The 12 is packed with news, views, features and opinion from across the city.

Every day we’ll send you a free email at around 12pm with 12 stories to keep you entertained, informed and uplifted. It’s the perfect lunchtime read.

The MyLondon team tells London stories for Londoners. Our 45 journalists cover all the news you need – from City Hall to your local streets.

Never miss a moment by signing up to The 12 newsletter here.

The cause of the fire is currently under investigation.

Another fire ravaged a different restaurant on the same road less than a week ago.

Around 100 firefighters and 15 fire engines were called to tackle a fire at Masala Canteen, also on Wembley High Road, last Thursday (August 12).

One man was in the building when the fire started just before 9am, and when fire crews arrived part of the extraction system from the ground floor up to the third was alight.

He managed to get out before fire crews arrived, but needed treatment for smoke inhalation and was taken to hospital.

Did you see what happened? Let us know in the comments below.

For more breaking news, local stories, and features from around London, sign up to one of our custom newsletters here.

Read More
Read More