Ever wondered how Hemel’s Magic Roundabout got that name? Us too.
It’s one of the many questions we often ask ourselves about our brilliant county, renowned for its stunning backdrops, historic landmarks and popular tourist spots.
Why don’t people understand that our town on the border with London isn’t pronounced ‘Chesh-unt’? And why are the geese near Lea Valley so angry?
Read more: Things to do in Hertfordshire
Whether you’ve lived in Hertfordshire for the majority of your life, or if you’ve just recently moved, let’s hope we all agree on some of the things we don’t understand.
17 things we will never understand about Hertfordshire
1. What is so magic about the Magic Roundabout? There are just so many roundabouts.
2. Why some of us have to travel by train into London and then back out to go to somewhere in Herts, which is 20 minutes away by car.
3. Why people seem to hate picking up their dog’s poo.
Sign up to the HertsLive newsletter below for the latest news straight to your inbox:
If you’re looking for a way to stay up to date with the latest breaking news from around Hertfordshire, the HertsLive newsletter is a good place to start.
The twice-daily update will deliver the top news and features straight to your inbox.
We choose the most important stories of the day to include in the newsletter, including crime, court news, long reads, traffic and travel, food and drink articles and more.
Signing up to the newsletter is simple. All you have to do is to click here and type in your email address.
It’s one of the many ways that you can read the news that matters to you from HertsLive.
4. Why no one outside of Hertfordshire can pronounce Hertfordshire or any other places in the county – it’s ‘Ches-unt’ not ‘Chesh-unt’.
5. People don’t understand that Ware is an actual place and we aren’t pulling your leg … ‘Where are you from?’ ‘I’m from Ware’ ‘Haha, no seriously, where are you from?’ AHHHHH.
6. Why we don’t get enough credit for creating some of the most famous food in Britain – hot cross buns and Braughing sausages to name just two.
7. Why everyone outside of the county thinks we are from Essex because of our accents. We don’t really have Essex accents do we?
(Image: Dacorum Police)
8. Why are the geese so angry? Lea Valley runners and walkers will vouch for this one.
9. Why Hertfordshire University isn’t rated amongst the very best in the UK.
10. How everyone else got a picture with Ricky Gervais when he was filming Afterlife in Hemel, but we didn’t.
11. Why people outside of Herts assume everyone from the county supports Tottenham Hotspur.
12. Why they got rid of the McDonald’s in Waltham Cross when everyone loved it.
13. Why pubs outside of Hertfordshire are nowhere near as good as the ones in it.
14. Why isn’t Paradise Wildlife Park not called a zoo? I mean, there are tigers and elephants and it is massive.
15. Why so many celebrities and sports stars are from Hertfordshire. Victoria Beckham, Anthony Joshua, Alesha Dixon – the list goes on.
16. Why it takes 20 minutes to get a round of drinks in Hertford.
17. How anyone could think their county is better than ours! I mean nothing is beating Herts.
What’s your favourite thing about Hertfordshire? Sign up here and let us know in the comments below.