‘Two families torn apart’ with one dead and another in hospital after violence across Leyton

Residents and authorities in East London are reeling after two shocking acts of violence left ‘two families torn apart’.

The first incident was a fight between two groups of males on Leyton High Road at around 6pm on Tuesday (August 31) that left a teenager in hospital with head injuries.

Witnesses report seeing the boy on the ground covered in blood and police picking a hammer off the ground in the aftermath.

READ MORE: First picture of man, 32, stabbed to death in East London

Just over seven hours later at around 1.30am residents in the Beaumont Road Estate were awoken to the sound of gunshots.

Within the hour another teenager was pronounced dead.

The scene on Beaumont Road the following day

Police are working to establish whether there’s any link between the two incidents.

Cllr Ahsan Khan, Waltham Forest Council Cabinet Member for Community Safety, said: “Two tragic incidents and two families torn apart – my heart goes out to those directly affected by such senseless violence.

0 GettyImages 1028621910

MyLondon’s brilliant new newsletter The 12 is packed with news, views, features and opinion from across the city.

Every day we’ll send you a free email at around 12pm with 12 stories to keep you entertained, informed and uplifted. It’s the perfect lunchtime read.

The MyLondon team tells London stories for Londoners. Our 45 journalists cover all the news you need – from City Hall to your local streets.

Never miss a moment by signing up to The 12 newsletter here.

“Council officers are working closely with police and are supporting them in their investigations in any way possible.

“Residents in the Leyton area will see extra patrols as a result of these incidents.”

Hammer fight on Leyton High Road

0 WhatsApp Image 2021 09 01 at 175831jpeg

The scene of the fight on Leyton High Road

Police were called to reports of men fighting on Leyton High Road at 5.49pm, one of them armed with a hammer.

They rushed to the scene and found a teenager suffering from a head injury and he was taken to hospital.

Thankfully his injuries are not believed to be life-threatening.

No arrests were made and a cordon was established which was still there 24 hours later.

Police were telling concerned locals it was due to the wait for forensic teams to show up.

0 WhatsApp Image 2021 09 01 at 175944jpeg

Medic bags were still on the floor 24 hours later

A waitress at a cafe by the cordon told My London about the moment it happened. She said: “We just saw everyone running towards something.

“One of the other girls was on the bus coming in, she saw a boy on the ground covered in blood.

“It was broad daylight. Madness”.

Police are urging anyone who may have seen it to get in touch by calling 101, using the reference CAD 5515/31 Aug.

Fatal shooting on Beaumont Road

0 WhatsApp Image 2021 09 01 at 163710jpeg

It was the small hours of the following moring when residents heard gunshots ring out over the usually quiet area.

One resident, who lives a 100m from the fatal shooting on Beaumont Road and wished to remain anonymous, told My London: “I heard four or five shots.

“It wasn’t fireworks, you can tell the difference. With fireworks you hear a fizz then the bang.”

Holding up her hand in a gun shape, she continued: “This was just the noise.

“Bang. Bang. Bang.”

Police on patrol in the area were alerted to the shots and later found the victim, a young man believed to be in his late teens, with gunshot wounds.

Officers called the London Ambulance Service but despite their best efforts he died at the scene at 2.28am.

0 IMG 3158

The Beaumont Road estate is usually quiet

A crime scene remained in place throughout the following day.

So far no arrests have been made.

One resident didn’t hear the gunshots but was woken by the police banging on her door.

Nicky Durkan, 39, who runs the local food bank told My London: “Around 2amI was sleeping in my bed then was awoken by police ringing my doorbell.

“Also hearing the helicopter up above my house, it was like it was in my garden.

“I open the door and there were about ten police officers in my front garden.”

“Eight of them came through but then an officer put his head over the fence and said he’s not there.”

The suspect had managed to escape the garden before the police could find him.

Nicky also said there had been a party further up the road on Beaumont Road that evening.

She said: “My friends told me there were around 60 people at this street party on the other square further up Beaumont Road last night.”

Usually it’s a quiet area, another resident who wished to remain anonymous said: “Thirty years ago this area used to be like the Bronx.

“In the last ten they’ve put up these new builds and it’s got a lot better. There’s always going to be crime in any area though.”

Were you at the scene? Did you see what happened? Please get in touch at [email protected]


Recommended For You