After a summer of disruption, trains running through Sutton are set to be reintroduced on September 6.
The Govia Thameslink services running through St Helier, Hackbridge and Carshalton were halved over the past few months with the operator blaming coronavirus staff shortages and fewer people travelling.
The reintroduction of trains has been welcomed by assembly member for Croydon and Sutton Neil Garratt who described it as a “sensible change” to make journeys quicker and avoid overcrowding.
And Bobby Dean, Lib Dem parliamentary spokesperson for Carshalton & Wallington, said: “Hackbridge is my local station and I know local residents will be relieved to hear that Thameslink trains will be restored to four trains per hour.
“But we still have a long way to go before public transport serves the needs of our local community.”
Here at MyLondon, we’re doing our very best to make sure you get the latest news, reviews and features from your area.
Now there’s a way you can keep up to date with the areas that matter to you with our free email newsletter.
The West London newsletter goes out twice day – at 7am and 4pm – and sends you the latest stories straight to your inbox.
From Hillingdon to Harrow, Southall to South Kensington, we’ll make sure you get the very best every day.
To sign up to the West London newsletter, simply follow this link and select the newsletter that’s right for you.
And to really customise your news experience on the go, you can download our top-rated free apps for iPhone and Android. Find out more here.
While this reduction was only temporary, elsewhere in the borough commuters could face a long-term cut to services.
South Western Railway services through Worcester Park and Motspur Park could be reduced from six to four trains an hour.
The company is currently carrying out a consultation on timetable changes.
It said: “Even though passengers are now returning to the railways, all the forecasts suggest they will not return to pre-Covid levels for the foreseeable future.”
Worcester park councillor and leader of the Sutton Conservatives, Tom Drummond, said he had a meeting with the operator last week.
“Their view is there will be new trains which will be longer with more standing space and it will be more reliable,” said Cllr Drummond.
“Residents are very sceptical about this and I raised their concerns with [SWR].
“When we see a reduction in trains it is absolutely a concern, particularly in Worcester Park where we’ve only got a few buses.”
To find out more about the consultation, click here.