London crime: One dead and 9 hurt after day of violence and crime in London

Nine people have been left hurt, and one has died, after an awful day of violence and crime in London yesterday (Saturday, July 31).

Five stabbings were reported throughout the day across the city, in Harrow, Hackney and Woolwich, though thankfully none of their injuries are thought to be life threatening.

Three clubbers were taken seriously ill after reportedly taking drugs in the early hours of the morning, one of whom died in hospital, and a Metropolitan Police officer was left with a broken leg and concussion after being hit by an e-scooter in Willesden.

READ MORE: Criminal gang trafficked autistic child, 15, from North London to Wales to use as a drug runner

At least four people were stabbed on Saturday, but thankfully none of the injuries sustained by stab victims are thought to be life-threatening

Man stabbed in Harrow fight

A man was stabbed in a fight in a Harrow street in the early hours of Saturday morning.

Police were called at 3.07am to reports of a group of people fighting in Station Road in Harrow, and went to the scene with London Ambulance Service.

Police were told a victim had turned up at a nearby pub with stab injuries but then left the area – but he was nowhere to be found despite a thorough search by officers.

The Met told My London that he later made contact with officers to confirm he did not require medical treatment. Officers have arranged to take a statement from him.

Forensic investigation is centred around O'Neill's pub

Forensic investigation was centred around O’Neill’s pub

A police cordon remained in place on Station Road on Saturday morning, with forensic teams centred around O’Neill’s pub, according to an eyewitness.

A 23-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of criminal damage and grievous bodily harm, and he remains in custody at a North London police station.

Two people stabbed in Woolwich

A woman was stabbed in the hand in Plumstead Road, Woolwich on Saturday morning (July 31) shortly after 6am.

Police were called at 6.20am to reports of a man with a knife, and emergency services rushed to the scene and treated the woman for her stab wound.

She was taken to hospital and is in a “stable condition”, with her injuries assessed as “non life-threatening”.

The Met have confirmed to My London on Sunday that a second person was also stabbed in Woolwich in another incident, before the woman was found.

Police were called after a man was found with stab injuries at a residential property in Samuel Close, Woolwich, on Saturday morning.

Officers attended along with the London Ambulance service, and the man was taken to hospital where he remains in a stable condition.

A 27-year-old man, Anton Rhoden of Samuel Close, Woolwich was arrested at the scene of the second stabbing and charged on Sunday, August 1 with two counts of attempted murder.

Two stabbed in Hackney and another injured

Two areas of Hackney were cordoned off after multiple people suffered injuries.

Police were first called to Spurstowe Road at 2.51pm to reports of a man with a knife, but found no one. Two men later presented themselves at hospital with stab wounds.

At 3.15pm police were again called to Pownal Road, which is around a mile away from the first incident, where a man was found injured and taken to hospital.

0 2dc6ffb7 4695 4e89 a868 fd712c2483cdjfif

Police set up a forensic tent on Marcon Place

A cordon was set up with a forensic tent on Marcon Place at around 5.30pm.

The crime scene was near the junction with the busy Amhurst Road, not far from Hackney Downs and Hackney Central stations.

None of the injuries sustained are thought to be life threatening.

One dead and two in hospital after taking drugs in Tottenham nightclub

A number of people, who are believed to have taken drugs, became unwell at The Cause nightclub in Tottenham.

A total of three men were taken to hospital after emergency services were called just after 3am on Saturday.

One of the men, a 21-year-old, was pronounced dead at hospital. His next of kin have been informed.

0 GettyImages 1028621910

MyLondon’s brilliant new newsletter The 12 is packed with news, views, features and opinion from across the city.

Every day we’ll send you a free email at around 12pm with 12 stories to keep you entertained, informed and uplifted. It’s the perfect lunchtime read.

The MyLondon team tells London stories for Londoners. Our 45 journalists cover all the news you need – from City Hall to your local streets.

Never miss a moment by signing up to The 12 newsletter here.

The death is currently being treated as unexplained and a post-mortem will be scheduled in due course.

A police spokesperson said: “At this early stage of the investigation it is understood that all parties have taken drugs.

“At this stage we don’t believe any persons were known to each other.”

No arrests have been made.

Police officer concussed with broken leg in e-scooter crash

Police have been cracking down on illegal e-scooters in recent months

Police have been cracking down on illegal e-scooters in recent months

A police officer was left with a broken leg and a concussion after an e-scooter crashed into him in Willesden High Road, knocking him to the floor, at around 1pm yesterday.

Officers had asked the 22-year-old man riding an e-scooter to stop but he had ignored them and tried to carry on riding past.

The e-scooter then crashed into a police officer, injuring him.

The police officer was treated at the scene before being taken to hospital.

The man was arrested at the scene on suspicion of grievous bodily harm, assault on an emergency worker, obstructing a drugs search, failure to stop, dangerous driving, driving without a license or insurance, breaching the terms of a prison sentence and being unlawfully at large.

Want more of the latest local news straight to your inbox? Sign up to our tailored newsletters here.

Read More
Read More

Recommended For You