London crime: Woman taken to hospital after being stabbed in the hand in South East London

A woman has been taken to hospital after being stabbed in the early hours of this morning in South East London.

Police were called at 6.20am today (July 31) to reports of a man with a knife in Plumstead Road, Woolwich.

Emergency services rushed to the scene where a woman was treated for a stab wound and taken to hospital.

The Metropolitan police say she is in a “stable condition”.

READ MORE: Woolwich stabbing live: Murder investigation launched as teenage boy knifed to death on busy street

A 27-year-old man has been arrested at the scene and taken to custody. The incident is not being treated as terrorism despite claims on social media.

MyLondon’s brilliant new newsletter The 12 is packed with news, views, features and opinion from across the city.

Every day we’ll send you a free email at around 12pm with 12 stories to keep you entertained, informed and uplifted. It’s the perfect lunchtime read.

The MyLondon team tells London stories for Londoners. Our 45 journalists cover all the news you need – from City Hall to your local streets.

Never miss a moment by signing up to The 12 newsletter here.

A local tweeted: “Major incident in Woolwich. Armed police on scene trained on suspect lying on back of truck.”

The A205 Woolwich New Road was closed in both directions and Woolwich High street was also closed due to the incident.

A Metropolitan Police spokesperson said: “Police were called at 06:20hrs on Saturday, 31 July following reports of a man in possession of a knife in Plumstead Road, Woolwich.

“Officers attended along with London Ambulance Service. A woman was found with a stab injury to her hand.

“She was taken to hospital where her condition was assessed as non-life-threatening.”

It comes just weeks after a teenage boy was also fatally stabbed in Woolwich. The incidents are not believed to be related.

Tamim Ian, 15 was attacked at around 5.30pm on July 5 in Woolwich New Road.

Members of the public stepped in to try and save the Harris Academy Greenwich student, with a video seen by My London showing one man trying to do chest compressions as he lay bleeding on the pavement.

Unfortunately attempts to save the boy were unsuccessful and he was pronounced dead at just before 6.10pm.

Get the latest and best London stories direct to your inbox by signing up to The 12 newsletter here.

Read More
Read More

Recommended For You