Home Breaking News Former council boss defends Raynes Park flooding remark in wake of storm

Former council boss defends Raynes Park flooding remark in wake of storm

7

The former leader of Merton Council claims his comments on flooding concerns being “alarmist” have been taken out of context.

Councillor Stephen Alambritis made the comments at a planning meeting three days after floods affected businesses and homes in Raynes Park as a month’s worth of rain fell in just 90 minutes.

Flash flooding hit the area again this week after heavy rainfall. Drains backed up for the second time in less than two weeks on Sunday, submerging roads in Raynes Park.

Cllr Alambritis said on Wednesday: “I was referring to a planning application where bringing up the recent flooding was alarmist, it has been taken out of context.

“It is alarmist to use the recent flooding to apply to this application.

“Certainly flooding is important and should be addressed by the local authority, City Hall and Thames Water.”

To keep up-to-date with all the latest breaking news, stories and events happening across South London, give the My South London Facebook page a like.

We will provide you with the latest traffic and travel updates, including updates on train and London Underground services, in areas including Southwark, Croydon, Greenwich, Lewisham, Wandsworth, Merton, Lambeth and Brixton.

The latest breaking news will be brought straight to your news feed including updates from the police, ambulance and fire brigade. We will also bring you updates from our courts and councils, as well as more lighthearted long reads.

We also publish your pictures and videos, so do message us with your stories.

Like the My South London Facebook page here.

You can also follow us on Twitter here.

Cllr Alambritis stepped down as leader of the council after 10 years in the job last year, but remains a councillor for Ravensbury. He’s also a member of the council planning committee.

His comments came as part of discussion about plans to replace a house in Raynes Park with six flats, along with two houses in the garden approved by the committee.

A local resident, Liberal Democrat councillor Simon McGrath and Conservative councillor David Dean all raised the issue of recent flooding in Raynes Park when complaining about the proposal.

But Cllr Alambritis responded: “I am concerned about the alarmist comments about flooding. Once each year for the last five years.”

He added that the floods on July 12 was a month’s worth of rain in 90 minutes that affected the whole of London.

And Dave Ward backed up the former leader saying that floods on July 12 were not “major flooding”.

Speaking to the Local Democracy Reporting service, Cllr McGarth said: “Residents were telling us there had been flooding but the report said we hadn’t had any flooding, they should listen to people on the ground.

“Cllr Alambritis is desperate to get things built and that comes through in his comments about flooding.

“The actual experience of residents is being ignored, and a couple of weeks later what happens? There has been more flooding.”

In response to a clip of the comments, posted on Twitter by community campaigner Mark Gale, one commenter said: “I can’t (maybe can?) believe the casual way they dismissed people’s real lived experience of filthy water coursing through their homes and threatening their safety.”

Read More
Read More

https://www.mylondon.news/news/south-london-news/former-council-boss-defends-raynes-21176610