Home Breaking News Woolwich stabbing: Teenage boy knifed to death as Tesco evacuated by police...

Woolwich stabbing: Teenage boy knifed to death as Tesco evacuated by police hunting killer

1

A teenager has been stabbed to death in a street in South London sparking a police hunt in a Tesco store.

The victim was attacked at 5.25pm in Woolwich before brave members of the public stepped in to try save him.

A nearby branch of Tesco was evacuated before armed police ran in with reports the suspect was inside.

A police tent and a large cordon has been set up, with the whole road closed off and the area surrounding where the attack happened cleared of members of the public while dozens of officers are still present, MyLondon reports.

A spokesperson for the Met Police said: “Police were called at 5.23pm on Monday, July 5 to reports of a stabbing on Woolwich New Road, SE18.

A man has been stabbed to death in Woolwich

“Officers attended and found a teenage boy suffering from a stab injury. They immediately provided first aid prior to the arrival of the London Ambulance Service. Despite their efforts, he was pronounced dead at the scene at 18:08hrs.

“Officers are in the process of contacting his next of kin. Formal identification has not taken place.

“A post-mortem examination will be held in due course.

The boy was attacked in the street

The boy was attacked in the street

“A crime scene is in place and officers remain in the area.

“At this early stage, there have been no arrests. Enquiries continue.

“Any witnesses are asked to call police via 101 quoting reference Cad 5748/05Jul.”

The victim is the 20th teenager to have been violently killed in London this year.

The number is at its highest in more than a decade and police fear 2021 could be the most horrific since 2008.

Met Police fear stabbings will get worse over the summer resulting in more fatalities.

Last year the teenage murder rate fell greatly last year due to lockdowns triggered by the coronavirus pandemic.

There were 15 teenage deaths in 2020 compared to 26 the year before.

The heartbreaking figure for 2021 so far has already exceeded the number for the whole of 2020 and a top cop fears if the rate of deaths continue at the same pace it will be higher than 2008 when 28 teenagers died.

Commander Alex Murray said: “If London continues to see this rate of violence we will be on track to see the worst year for young homicides since 2008.

“We are extremely concerned about this and are calling on every Londoner to play their part to prevent further needless killings.”

Read More
Read More

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/breaking-woolwich-stabbing-man-knifed-24464773