Home West London London Bridge emergency: Police seal off major road after bomb scare sparks...

London Bridge emergency: Police seal off major road after bomb scare sparks panic – latest | UK | News


Images emerged on social media of a huge police presence at London Bridge on Monday afternoon. Met Police officers reported the package could be a “WW2 ordinance”.

Officers cordoned off the scene as thousands of rush-hour commuters left work.

A Met Police spokesman said: “At 16:45hrs on Monday 12 July police were made aware of a possible WW2 ordnance found during work at Guy’s Campus, Great Maze Pond, London SE1 9RT.

“A safety cordon was put in place and roads closed. This has now been dealt with and stood down.”

Social media users reported both ends of the bridge were “completely locked down”.

One person wrote on Twitter: “Major incident at #londonbridge station is closed lots of police and fire engines.”

Another said: “My nan has just rang me to tell me not to go out because a bomb has allegedly been found yet again on my doorstep.

“People in the London Bridge area be safe please.”

The British Transport Police has reassured commuters that the station is still open to passengers.

It comes as heavy rain led to flash floods in large parts of London.

Emergency services rushed to Raynes Park as several vehicles became stuck under the rising waters.

The London Fire Brigade has taken more than 150 calls of people reporting heavy flooding across South West London.

In 2017, a van was deliberately driven into pedestrians, before the three occupants ran to the nearby Borough Market area and began stabbing people.

They were shot dead by City of London Police officers and were found to be wearing fake explosive vests.

Eight people were killed and 48 were injured, including members of the public and four unarmed police officers who attempted to stop the assailants

In 2019, five people were stabbed in a knife attack carried out by Usman Khan at Fishmongers’ Hall.

Jack Merritt, 25, and Saskia Jones, 23, died as a result of the attack, with the terrorist later being shot to death by police.